Which anti-spyware programs should I install?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by spider_darth, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't use scanners anymore, I'm one of these newbies, who would remove false/positives also and damage my own system.
    I also don't believe a scanner, when it tells me "You are clean."
    And how many scanners do I need ? One, three, five, eight, fifteen ? Pffft.

2. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

But it's useful to run multiple scanners without user intervention, am i right?

However, does it install and uninstall the scanners from the PC after scanning?

3. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

Thanks! Guess I'll have to read up more on security to decide.

But for now, could u explain what u mean by imaging software? I only know of software like Acronis which image your HDD partitions so u can revert back to them should your HDD become corrupted. Is this an example of the imaging software you're talking about?

Any recommendation for an imaging or virtualization software? Are they the same?

And, could u recommend some websites which are not too technical for me to understand how things work etc.

Thanks once again!

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Yes, Acronis is a good example.

Not to brag, but you could try my site, I have a bit of interesting information regarding virtualization, installation of operating systems, dual boot etc.

Wikipedia is your friend too.

Start by basic concepts, what is an operating system, how it works, how commands are executed.

Windows wise, what is/are: registry, startup, services, file attributes, file permissions, how one can get infected, how one can prevent infection, how one can diagnose an infection.

Web wise, what are different protocols, what is html, what is javascript, drive-by-download etc.

This site is a very good source of information. Just hang in here and ask questions aplenty. CastleCops is also ok.

Mrk

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't remember the details of Hitman anymore. It's too long ago. After trying it, I ditched it.
    I only wanted to tell, that Hitman Pro is just a tool to run several scanners after one another, but Hitman Pro itself is not a scanner.
    If you want to know, if it is practical in usage, then you have to try it yourself.
    In those days, it was a donation software, developped by one person in the Netherlands, but I could be wrong.
    I try to live without scanners of any kind. They take too much of my freetime to run daily.
    As you can see, my signature has no scanner.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Multiple scanners app such as Hitman will certainly give you cheerful findings, often a lot and conflicting one another. Then the ball will be in your court, which ones to delete, all of them? seems impossible. how about roll a dice? too risky! Then you are going to have sleepless nights worrying some nasties are deep in your box, and you can't do anything about it. IMO, steer away from this seems-to-be mighty application.

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Yes they all are programs i have extensively proven on my XP Pro as stable and most if not all are completely compatible with each other or piled together like i thrill at doing. No conflicts here but very beneficial and useful depending on the user's interest. I been replied at many times with thanks by members here who said they have turned to some of these programs i listed and am satisfied they did, so glad to help a little here and there.

As for apps i actually use i only do that in postings like i did. No sense in giving away my PERSONAL config on a public forum that also includes audience from malwares writers/developers. I can also offer via PM if you need to know more but one of the best defenses i found over the years against targetted surprises is to keep potential villians off-balance and make them work at it, not offer them a bullseye.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Easter, what does it matter what you write in your sig?
    How can someone relate between your nick and your computer?
    And even if someone did know your IP (if it's not dynamic), what does it really matter?
    Mrk

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hello Mrkvonic

It's not that big a concern and yes i can simply pull the plug and replug and Presto! new IP but the range stays the same.

I lined out my siggy for anyone who wants to explore some good safe security programs they might find satisfactory.

I am going to make some changes to my sig soon because some new ones have been added but i'm a bit lazy lately. LoL

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Easter: Just adding some flavour to your posting. I do admire your defense lineups, very thorough and impressive. But I can not help thinking this: I may have all the colours in rainbow's spectrum, yes all seven wonderful colours, but the resulting mix colour is BLACK, is not? Just some weid feeling. Have a nice one.

11. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

OK, thank you very much! :blink:

Mike

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well flinchlock, that does make it kind of interesting for the curious now doesn't it. LoL :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.