Which Anti-Spyware do you prefer?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sir_carew, Feb 2, 2005.

?

Which one?

1. SpySweeper

34 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Microsoft AntiSpyware

30 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Spybot Search & Destroy

18 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. Ad-Aware

34 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. SpywareBlaster

12 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Other (please post)

27 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Okay we all have our favorites, but in reality which one is better in terms of memory usage, scanning time, real-time scanner efficiency, more definations, and avoids conflict with things that we run like Ewido (real time) ,ProcessGuard, Regdefend, Kav, or Nod32 etc. Anyone care to fill in the blanks for specs like that?

MS Antispyware?

Spyware Doctor 3.2?

Counterspy?

Spysweeper 4?

Other?

dja2k :rolleyes:

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I voted for Spybot - Search & Destroy; however I also use Ad-Aware SE Personal and SpywareBlaster.

3. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

i prefer pest patrol

4. Yannis

Yannis Registered Member

I use (hold on):

Spyware doctor
    Spybot Search and destroy
    SpywareBlaster
    Spydefense
    MS antispyware
    Ewido
    Spy Sweeper
    Ad-Aware SE

All the above the same time without any conflict!
    My system is a Pentium 4 ,512 Ram, 3Ghz, Win XP home SP2, IE 6.0
    :) :) :)
    Cheers!!

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I would say MS ANTISPYWARE is a very good program and free. I uninstalled a few months ago as I felt that running SHADOWUSER and PROCESS GUARD made it redundant on my system.

Occasionally (once a month) I scan my drive on demand with SPYBOT S&D, ADWARE SE, and EWIDO but they have always invariably found nothing.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If your protection is based on blacklist scanners :

1. Most security websites advice at least (classics) : Spybot, Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster.
    2. In reality you need every available legitimate AS scanner, because they ALL have a DIFFERENT blacklist :
    Spyware Doctor, Spy Sweeper, CounterSpy, Ewido, Pest Patrol, ... (MSAS is still in beta).
    What one scanner doesn't find, COULD be found by the others and sometimes you have bad luck.

At SWI the qualified helpers ask malware-victims to run Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG Free FIRST and if that doesn't help, the victims have to post their HijackThis Log.
    In spite of these 3 scanners SWI receives enough HijackThis Logs to keep the many qualified helpers busy all day long and that also proves, that 3 scanners aren't enough.

Of course some users run less scanners and are satisfied with the scanner-message "No threats found."
    When I get that message, I always think "And what about the threats, you didn't find ?"
    If you don't like that question and want to fool yourself, than scanners are enough, at least in your MIND, not on your harddisk. :)

7. myresponse

myresponse Guest

Well, I guess I prefer to use all of them (talked about here)......and none of them.

8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

WinPatrol wroof! wroof! :D

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Do any of you people like Microtrend's free Antispyware online scanner ? I always get false positives with it, how about you?

dja2k

10. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    In the past I really love and like Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta coz of its real-time monitors...my gosh it has lots of them to protect us in real-time. But, I found out that it eats up my system resources and slowed down my pc as I only uses 256MB RAM.. and so I have to uninstall it and after re-boot then clean w registry cleaners..and ohhh... what a relief my pc now is much quicker and faster. :D :eek:

I have to rely now on my WinPatrol, Script Defender (to block scripts), etc and other light on resources anti-spywares programs to monitor my system. Anyway, I only uses Firefox browser. ;) :cool:

11. taihaukau

taihaukau Registered Member

Counterspy

12. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Zero Spyware + spybot S&D

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I voted some while ago, but now Im leaning toward superantispyware. it has good detection rates and its available in free and paid versions.

14. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

I just wanted to they are all really nice programs to use, but i had to go for spysweeper as it ran the best on my system. Cpu usage is round about 4-5% > and runs two processes WRSSSDK.exe mem usage 5.260/ SpySweeper.exe mem usage 4.660.

I have tried counterspy and it had some problems with Cpu usuage for example it used between 21-25% Cpu when was running full protection, but I did like its design and the way it alerted.
    For example these two processes always used alot of memory and the sunserver process seemed to interfer with some other programs at start up.
    SunThreatEngine.exe 46.676
    SunProtectionServer.exe 27.600

Spyware doctor I think has a nice interface, but tended to slow down my system, I did like MS Anti-spyware> but with windows Defender I didn't feel very safe, as all it did was notify in the event logs that it has identfied something! Spybot and ad-aware were the first two spyware apps that I ever used, so I kinda like keeping these programs around.

Take care

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That indeed is a good player and given the fact this thread is over a year old, one of the 6 choices is not an Anti-Spyware program....perhaps it is time for someone to create an up to date Anti-Spyware Poll with as many of the now a day players as possible :doubt:

16. btman

btman Registered Member

Spyware blaster an anti-spyware XD. I hate super antispyware.... lol... I just didn't like it, dont ask why. I no its a legit program.. but it looks like the many crappy programs i have downloaded with the spy guy.. and it found f/p and ugh i just dont like it lol.

17. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Good suggestion Bubba, so I created a new version of an AntiSpyware poll here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136630

18. dog

dog Guest

Please post in the new and updated poll mention in the post above - As there is a newer Antispy poll thread this poll is now closed. ;)

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.