Which 22" LCD Monitor works with ATI HD4950?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SourMilk, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Just found out my VX2035WM ViewSonic monitor's DVI is incompatible with my new ATI 4850 card. Had I done my homework, I would have noticed the 17 pages found on ATI Gamers forum about the DVI problem with certain monitors.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone have a 22" monitor that works with ATI 4800 series on DVI?

2. Does anyone know a brand of monitor that will work with ATI 4800 series on DVI?

Thanks for any and all replies,
    SourMilk out

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I am not finding any trend or pattern of problems, such as you suggest for the HD4950 (as mentioned in your title) or the HD4850 (as mentioned in the body of your post), using DVI. The problems I find are generally caused by outdated drivers, cables or HDMI to DVI adapters. The problems I personally see are often the result of the user upgrading power hungry hardware without taking into consideration the increased demands on the power supply. Another common problem is the user has the monitor set to the wrong input type (analog instead of digital).

Sadly, you gave us nothing really to go on (you did not say what problems you are having or what the compatibility issue is), but I note the VX2035WM is a 20.1" inch monitor that does support DVI.

I have several Samsung and Viewsonic LCDs, all working fine in digital mode using both ATI and nVidia cards.

3. SourMilk

Oops. The title meant to say 4850 not 4950. I am glad someone is able to get DVI to work on ViewSonic. Using Catalyst 9.1 and current driver, DVI is not possible with my VX2035WM.

Bill, the folks here could really use your help:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagev...d=96981&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

The problem with DVI on certain monitors using 4800 series ATI graphic cards seems to be widespread.

Have a great day.
    SourMilk out

4. Bill_Bright

No, it is not widespread. You cannot judge such things by looking at one site, especially the maker's site. The Toyota mechanic seeing nothing but broken Toyota's all day may start believing Toyota's are lousy cars, but we know that is not true.

Certainly a few users seem to be having the same problem, but if this were widespread, entering ATI 4800 DVI problems into Google would show widespread problems, but it does not.

Have you tried a different DVI capable monitor with that card? Have you tried that monitor with another computer that supports DVI?

5. SourMilk

6. Bill_Bright

Yeah, I saw that too - one person making one unsubstantiated claim! Where is this 10 monitor list? Do not believe everything you read - ESPECIALLY from a disgruntled user. Happy users don't complain!

But I also asked if you tried that card with another DVI monitor?

They all do and until you can find an official site (not individual users) that says a specific model number is bad, don't believe it. If your monitor does not work, you either have a bad monitor, bad driver, the wrong cable or bad DVI-D cable, or that card is bad. Or there still the possibility your PSU is not adequate.

7. SourMilk

8. SourMilk

9. Bill_Bright

That's just a list from one thread. Since some folks were able to get their's running and other's did not, I see nothing conclusive about anything. But I see you are convinced so I will not bother arguing the point further, but I would ask then, "why are you keeping a card that you are convinced does not work with but a few monitors?"

10. SourMilk

I like the deeper colors, sharper graphics, lower power usage, and the anti-aliasing/anisotropic capabilities of the 4850 as compared to my 8800GT.

Enjoy your day,
    SourMilk out

USMCE8Ret :D

11. SourMilk

Just for general information for anyone interested in this thread, I bought an Acer X223W 22" monitor and it works great with my ATI 4850 card.

Cheers,
    SourMilk out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.