Where's "home"?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Mele20, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I was trying to help someone over at dslr who can't get here except via an old link, otherwise he gets the off line page still and it suddenly occured to me where is the home linko_O? I was going to have him see if he can get here that way, but there isn't any home link here! Whyo_O
    When I go to www.wilders.org, I can get here successfully from there so why can't I go there from here? o_O

As an aside, why when I clicked the smilie ONCE, it shows up FOUR TIMES in the posto_O?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If that person is seeing the static HTML page I had up saying the site was down for upgrade and showing Paul's announcement about the downtime below it, then they are being blocked by cache somewhere. Either their own caching on system or in browser, or their ISP's caching mechanism. That page doesn't even exist any more here on our server, so there isn't a way for us to prevent them from seeing that old page because it isn't coming from here.

The only advise I have for them is use our normal link ( https://www.wilderssecurity.com/ ) and if it's in IE, force a full page refresh using CTRL F5.

I'm not sure what you me by the "home link". There are several links to this forum on the pages here. The logo at top-left of every screen is a link to here. The bottom right of every page has a "Wilders Security" link, that points here, as well.

There is not a link to http://www.wilders.org here though.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well if he uses the link you suggest he gets your stale page and Paul's announcement. If he uses https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27377
    he can get here. In fact, this latter is what everyone seems to use to get here...the former isn't working for others too. It works for me though. I told them to force a refresh, but I don't think they use IE.

There is no link here to Wilders.orgo_O? Whyo_O That seems strange. I can get to this board via Wilders.org by clicking on "forum" there, but I can't do the reverse from here and get to thereo_O? I always could on the old forum. There was a "home" button at the top of every page. I mean this forum is a part of Wilders.org so why wouldn't I be able to reach the main site from this forum?

Also, could someone please explain how that smilie is getting in my posts? I'm not clicking any smilies or typing any. That one is ok, but what if some "nasty" one decides to insert itself?? Is this a Firefox problem? There is three of those in there now when I previewed. Heh.

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Are you by chance typing in 4 ? in a row, because if you do, you get this

o_O?

Kent

5. LowWaterMark

As I said, the old "stale" static index page is not being served from here. They are getting it from cache some where else, either their own system or ISP. We can't fix that. We are no longer providing the static "closed message" page from here. It was deleted. The caching issue is out there somewhere I'm afraid. There is no setting I can make to fix their caching.

And yes, "every occurrence" of three ? in a row will be changed to this" o_O

So yes, 4 "?" will be the Smiley plus a "?".

6. LowWaterMark

Oh, and about Wilders.Org, we did not put a link to there from here this time.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why? Or is that is secret? Pardon me if I shouldn't be asking. :) Ignore me.

8. LowWaterMark

Well, if you rememeber - the logo on the YaBB SE forum was an image of Wilder.Org, but that style logo didn't look right with this forum's style and coloring, so we didn't use it. Other than that, there is no place here for an offsite link. (The link under the logo here always points back to this forum to allow quick refreshing. That's just the way that works on vB.) So, we'd have to edit the forum software to position a new "offsite link" and we just haven't done that.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I understand now. Thanks for the explanation. I agree the style and coloring of the forum is quite different from Wilders.org. Still, it seems inconsistent to have a link from Wilders.org to here and not vice versa. New folks are going to be confused I suspect. Plus, it would be a lot simpler if you had a link even if it doesn't "go" with the look. I can't think, off hand at least, of any other site that does it this way. Just my 2cents. :)

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You can put a link in your profile, signature, bio if you like so you tell people to click your name for the links you put there. Or post it in "other software and services" as a nice link for bunches of very usefull info and software so people click on that from there.
    Just a few possibilities.
    And nothing against to keep that link in your favorites or as an icon on your desktop. BTW: you know to type the link so well it will hardly be a problem to type it into the addressbar to get there immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.