where trial process guard??

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by joan5325, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joan5325

joan5325 Guest

where I can download a trial version of process guard. :rolleyes:

thx

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Go to http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=download for access to the free version (protects 1 process) or to the paid version for unlimited process protection.

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

In other words, there really isn't a trial version of Process Guard.

4. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

You can trial the free version for as long as you like - the only main difference is that the full version allows you to protect an unlimited amount of processes (ie. your entire system), whereas the free version only allows you to protect one process (such as your firewall).

5. nameless

The free version is not the same as a trial of the full version. If I had been able to try the full version, I would not have purchased Process Guard. It was only with the full version that I was able to use Process Guard with enough processes to encounter the serious issues I had with it. When you're just protecting ZoneAlarm or your anti-virus utility, your likelihood of coming across a serious issue is a whole lot less than when you have a list with 20 programs in it.

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The only difference between the free and full versions is the ability to add more processes to be protected. If you add 20 programs and are experiencing problems with this aspect of Process Guard you can easily tweak it to stop any issues from occuring. I think your problems nameless were with other parts of the protection that you would have seen with the free version IF you had of tried the same free version of the full versions you had issues with.

The next public release is going to be a lot different than everyone is expecting with a lot of changes and features, and as can be seen by the recenty driver beta release, increased stability.

nameless, did you try the beta driver?

-Jason-

7. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Oh my...that does sound intriguing! ;)

8. nameless

No, sorry, I did not. Once bitten, twice shy. My system is running fine now and I am afraid of messing things up. I do understand your point of view. I might try PG again sine die.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nameless

I can understand where you are coming from. I didn't post much about it, but I was in close touch with Jason. I don't think anyone could have had more problems with 1.3. If I so much as looked at my machine, it would crash. But with this beta driver it is stable as a rock. Before I couldn't even run all features, and I was having problems, and now all features are turned on and it is 100% stable.

You might consider giving it a try, as long as you are comfortable doing the driver swap out as outlined by Jason.

Pete

10. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

nameless,

You might slightly modify trying/installing the new beta driver as well. Here's what I did so that I could quickly revert back to the old driver if this new beta driver did not work.

1. Disable protection in PG and shut down Process Guard GUI.
    2. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and locate Procguard.sys.
    3. Rename Procguard.sys to Procguard1.sys.
    4. Install the Beta Procguard.sys in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.
    5. Reboot computer
    6. Enable protection in PG.

HTH

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Worked fine doing it that way for me, too, nameless - and I wasn't even having any problems with the original one, that I could see. Haven't had any problems since doing it, either. Pete

12. controler

controler Guest

Is the Beta Driver for the free version also?

Thanks

controler

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Try it, AAIK it should work, as this is mainly for XP users you can always do a system restore if you have problems - Any feed back is most welcome :D
    *puppy* wish someone would take that pup for a walk :(

14. nameless

OK, I'll probably try it some time over the weekend. (Not sure if I'll be able to fit it in with my job hunting though. :'()

15. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Nameless, Job hunting is probaly more of a priority and quite rightly so.

Best of luck or if you are a thesbian "break a leg" - Pilli

16. Jason_DiamondCS

Yes the driver works with the free version also, give it a try. :)

-Jason-

17. nameless

Well, what can I say, I disagree. My opinion of the trial/freeware version of PG is that it is not really adequate to tell you how the full version of PG will work on your system.

After all, one of my first issues after buying PG were with Filemon, Regmon, and Process Explorer (as mentioned in this thread). If I hadn't purchased PG, I would not have had that issue--because, not being able to add the various Sysinternals utilities to the PG list, I would not have been able to enable driver/service blocking in the first place. That was an issue with the options available for applications in the PG protection list, and was therefore pretty much a "full-version only" issue. (Thankfully, that issue has since been corrected, but the point stands.)

The same thing is true of the issues with global hooks, which still exist. Since I have lots of applications that use global hooks legitimately, and I know I can't add them to the PG list to grant them GH capability, I would have had to keep GH blocking disabled altogether with the freeware version.

Right? I can't see any way around this. If I had the freeware version, I probably wouldn't even bother trying to block GH, because obviously you can't do such a thing globally. But if I did enable GH blocking with the freeware version of PG, sure, it would cause problems on my system. But what I'd be thinking would be that once I bought the full version and could add applications to the list, and give them GH capability, things would be fine. That's what I'd expect anyway. But that would be a false assumption, because of the existing issues.

18. Jason_DiamondCS

I don't understand, since you can add ONE chosen program to the list, you could of tried them all one by one. There is no difference in options between the free and full version, the only difference is the number of applications allowed to be protected. By enabling that option you could of seen whether or not those sysinternals tools worked and decided then and there if it was a major issue for you not to purchase.

Blocking global hooks is ONE option, it isn't like PG revolves around that one option and without it PG is totally unusable, right? And again, you could of tried each application with "Allow Global Hooks" one by one with that option enabled to see if ANY of your programs had problems if that one option was very important to you.

Let me tell you that even though Process Guard "blocks" global hooks doesn't make it the fault of all crashes when it is enabled. It is due to some programs just thinking "This Hook function call will never fail" and when it does (because PG blocks it) since they never coded for it, it leads to crashes and errors. This will be true of software already written and software which is still to be made. Process Guard may expose these flaws more readily but it is due to flaws written into other software that cause most of these issues when PG is installed and blocking various things.

It seems you are most annoyed at the fact that you had to spend time configuring and working out PG. Well PG isn't solitaire, it is a security app. It requires time to learn the program, what it does and what effect it has on your system, you knew this before purchasing it.

As for bugs related to PG, they are being fixed everyday when they are found. I could understand a reason for complaining if there wasn't going to be anymore updates for PG, but complaining (there is a difference between complaining and bug reporting) when a new version is going to be out soon just wastes our time.

-Jason-

19. nameless

OK, I see; it is the responsibility of the user to try each application he has on his system, one by one, in order to ferret out your bugs. If the user doesn't successfully uncover your mistakes, cha-ching, and too bad for that user. I'll file that under "S" for "Silly".

I am not annoyed at having to configure something more complicated than Solitaire. I am annoyed that I've encountered one bug after another in your software, and now I'm being treated like a b-tch instead of a customer. You're giving me a hard time because I'm not one of the many hand-kissing, hell-or-high-water DCS fans, and I'm unhappy about having to work around your bugs by disabling this or that feature, and I'm saying I shouldn't have to test beta drivers and configure around your coding errors.

Why did I buy it, why did I keep it so long before complaining? Because I trusted you guys to put out a solid product in a reasonable amount of time, that's why. Even after stability issues--which normally make me remove software immediately--I kept trying to make it work, because I trusted you, that's all. I'll be more cautious next time.

You're angry at me for complaining, but you consistently fail to acknowledge that the issues I have are not imaginary issues that are exclusive to me; they are real issues with the product that others are having as well. Without your coding errors, none of this would be going on at all. So as with any problem, look first at the source. (Pun intended.)

20. Jason_DiamondCS

I'm glad you read my last post ;) . Try rereading the section about issues with certain software.

I'm not angry, I was just pointing out how your complaining is wasting time, because really what has it achieved? Nothing, your problem isn't solved with your posting, all it does is consume our time. We already KNOW about your issues, what sort of acknowledgement do you want besides me posting in the same thread you did telling you so? I told you we could not reproduce the problem on our machines or on our beta testing machines, and until we can I cannot say the specific bug that you and Nicholas both have is fixed. What do you have to complain about? How we listened and noted your bug and are in the process of trying to find and fix it?

Maybe you want the next version quicker, as I'm sure everyone does but we can only work as fast as we are going right now.

-Jason-

21. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

I'll close this thread now, as the original question of "where I can download a trial version of process guard" has been answered ( http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/index.php?page=download ).

Process Guard v2.0 is coming soon! All registered users will be able to upgrade for free. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.