Where to renew DrWeb license

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The main DrWeb site now has a working link for renewing DrWeb licenses. The URL is...
    http://buy.drweb.com/

By the way, has anyone figured out how to avoid the splash screen that pops-up when loading DrWeb's on-demand scanner? I don't know about you, but I detest splash screens that cannot be disabled.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But Bill

Unless Dr Web has just updated their prices; the usual renewal cost was $20. This was the price that Hexamon renewed at a few weeks ago; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=46524

The renewal price on the new site is now the original first-time purchase price of $29 o_O

3. bellgamin

Yes. As an example, the same is true for F-prot. A new F-prot license costs $29, & renewal also costs $29.

Even so, among the highly rated antivirus programs, DrWeb remains one of the lowest priced.

4. Blackcat

Of most of the AV programs I know, all offer a discount after the first year for the renewal of the license. Most offer a 30% discount. The only exception, as you state, is F-Prot for Windows.

In this case, the lack of a rebate is I think justified because F-Prot is absurdly cheap when purchased in bulk by companies and colleges. In addition, there are no multiple licenses to buy if you have several computers at home. Therefore, most people can see why Frisk Software does not have a reduced renewal fee.

However, in the case of Dr Web I can see no justification for having the same renewal price as the original purchase cost. I think the new renewal price on their web-site is wrong but they have not corrected this. I have sent an email to support about this, but as usual there has been no reply as yet.

With the problems recently with their web-site, the updating of Dr Web and their inconsistent support, they need at the present time a LARGE discount in place for present users even to think about renewing their licenses.

5. bellgamin

Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, DRW remains one of the best bargains for obtaining excellent protection. BC, if you don't want to pay $29 for DRW, then that's your choice. But please, be fair & base your comments upon the relative merits & demerits of DRW as an AV in the here & now, and NOT upon the fact that, several weeks back, we were able to buy it at a lower price.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You are forgetting that F-Prot is ONE $29 fee for ALL computers in your home. So, it is much cheaper than any other av (except the free ones all of which have major drawbacks). I looked at Dr.Web and thought about trying it but then I recalled it produces false positives more than NOD32 (which does it A LOT now) and I want to get away from heavy use of heuristics. When I saw the policy on F-Prot for multiple computers at home, I decided to try it. I LOVE it. I LOVE how bare bones it is. That is EXACTLY what I want. However, I would like to see the ability to exclude in the Real Time scanner. So far though (4 days of trial now), I have no need to exclude. NOD32 was driving me nuts. Something changed with the latest version and AMON was constantly alerting on false positives and Eicar in System Restore and when I excluded System Restore it didn't work no matter how I did it. F-Prot has NOT been alerting and that eicar file and the false positives are still in system restore. So, I doubt I will need exclude...but it would be nice and Frisk should provide that.

As for no quarantine in F-Prot, that is more bothersome. But I can just put the files in a folder of my choice. They won't be encrypted but no one else uses this computer and I will know to be careful. In every other respect, I think F-Prot is quite superior. It does what it needs to do with no extra bells and whistles and I love it for that. Plus, I have no problems with updating like I did with NOD32. F-Prot had a new version out on Sept 24 to catch the JPeg exploit. Many much larger av vendors didn't have anything out until the 28th. I have a file that contains 593 viruses. F-Prot scanned that on right click in 2 seconds ...much faster than NOD32 and found all but 6. NOD32 missed about 50 of them.

This av is perfect for my 98SE box and is free for that box. I just pay for the XP box. I hope Frisk doesn't add bells and whistles when they do upgrade it but just fixes a few things like providing quarantine and allowing for a settings interface for the real time protector.

I can't believe the trial is for 60 days!!

7. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

DrWeb has greatly improved cocerning fallse positives. I have not had one in two years. The 4.32a Version is very stable. Works well with BoClean, RegRun and AdWatch. I am very impress with it.
    Tim

8. Blackcat

You have misinterpreted my statement. The fact that there bulk license purchases are so cheap AND there is no need for multiple licenses, means that Frisk feel that they cannot offer a discount to single license users. Therefore their overall policy of no discount for renewal of licenses seem justified.
    Again a misinterpretation. The renewal price on their web-site is wrong not because I said it was but because they have mistakenly linked it to their original purchase price. THIS NEW RENEWAL LINK IS INCORRECT.

This is supported by the fact that they have sent me an email which states that the renewal price is at a 30% discount. Therefore the renewal price is STILL $20 and NOT $29.
    I disagree. There are still dead, and incorrect links.
    I am not paying $29, if this is not the correct renewal price. It should be $20.
    I hope I have been fair in my comments. I am basing my comments on the fact that the actual renewal price is STILL $20, but their RENEWAL link does not reflect this!!!.

You have assumed that $29 is now the correct RENEWAL PRICE. BUT THIS IS ONLY BECAUSE THEIR URL LINK IS INCORRECT.

9. bellgamin

@Mele- I also like F-prot. I am eagerly looking forward to their version 4.0, & hoping beyond hope that they keep it as light on resources as it now is. By the way, the heuristic scanner in F-prot is far from being a cute little chihuahua puppy. Rather, it is very ill-tempered rottweiler & -- sometimes -- will produce a FP of its own. Grrrr! Power breeds FP's, because you're trying to protect against a malware BEFORE signatures become available. Better an FP than an infected computer, right?

Hey, sis -- you are waaay smart enough to handle an FP from time to time. Therefore, I do hope that you will give DRW a trial some day. Be aware, though -- just as Blackcat said, DRW's tech support isn't the greatest at times. But then, that's why I hope you will become a DRW user. The more of us DRW users there are here at Wilders, the better able we are to help each other out. We have united to handle problems in the past. We shall do so again, if necessary, in the future. That is the beauty of Paul Wilder's wonderful forum.

@TAG97 - Just like you, it's been ages since I had a NEW False Positive from DRW. It still gives me an FP for Trojan First Aid Kit -- a very very old program that I keep around for... um, *sentimental* reasons. :cool:

aloha from Ewa Beach..... bellgamin

10. bellgamin

I agree. It's a worthy goal. Also, I am hoping for a lasting peace in the Middle East. Yet another worthy goal. ;)

11. Blackcat

My 2 posts were different in time. I received the email from support at antivir.ru AFTER my post saying that I had not yet received an email BEFORE I posted yesterday.

They sent the email to me as I was 14 days away from my license renewal. This is standard procedure.

It is a pity that you would think that I would make up these FACTS :mad: :mad:
    and I would appreciate if you only comment upon the information given and NOT TWIST the facts to fit your argument :mad: :mad:

12. bellgamin

BC I am distressed by your sudden negativism concerning a fine AV simply because they raised their price, even though that price is well below the prices of other AVs of similar caliber.

Nevertheless, I have edited several of my posts in order to remove any adverse personal innuendos. I sometimes do get caught up in the heat of spirited debate. My apologies to all, and especially to Blackcat.

aloha...bellgamin

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It's good to know that False positives are not so common now with Dr. Web. Perhaps, I will try it one of these days. I do agree that it is good that users can get together here to help each other especially if support tends to be spotty.

It will be interesting to see what the new version of F-Prot contains. I don't care about an email scanner but would like to see settings for the Real Time monitor and a few other things. I'll watch out for the pit bull ...err...the rotweiler. :D

Aloha from rainy Hilo (am I glad Hilo has its normal weather back finally...it was too hot and no cloud cover and no rain? ugh),
    Mele

14. Blackcat

Apart from my 2 previous emails from antivir.ru, maybe Dr Web's official support do not know the 'new' renewal price! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

15. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Let's keep in mind that there are many different AV vendors (many with trial versions of their product), and each have their own good and bad points to consider. The renewal price of Drweb (or the lack there of?) may be worth it to some and may not to be others. Either way it is ok :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.