Where to put Acronis Secure Zone ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 2harts4ever, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2harts4ever

2harts4ever Registered Member

Evening everyone,

Well, Acronis TI 10 is now installed on my computer. :thumb:

I made my first complete image of my internal hard drive and stored it on my external drive.

I then validated the same thing and all seems to be A-Okay. Of course, I won't know for sure unless the need ever arises and I have to use the restore function.

I do have one other 'newbie' question. My 'C' Drive (internal) shows 11.8 GB of used space but by Image on my external drive only shows 7.49 GBs of used space. Does this sound normal? o_O

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Sounds right on target. To estimate the size of your backup image take the total amount of used space on the drive that you're backing up, subtract the size of the Windows paging file (pagefile.sys), subtract the size of the Windows hibernation file (hiberfile.sys), and then multiply the result by about 0.7 to account for the file compression used by TI.

So assuming that you have a paging file of about 1 GB and no hibernation file then [11.8 - 1]x0.7 = about 7.5 GB.

To discover another "neat" feature of TI, double-click on your image file and have a look inside. You should see all of your backed-up files.

3. 2harts4ever

2harts4ever Registered Member

Hi k0lo,

I appreciate your fast reply and for putting my weary 65-year-old mind at ease.

I will keep exploring.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Don't forget the advice posted earlier-- get a spare internal drive and put it in in place ofyour system drive and do a restore. If that works -- and it should and most likely will, you'll know that you're covered. At that point you can swap your old drive back in or keep it for when the other fails.

It might seem like extra trouble and money, but if you drive ever goes south and you don't have a means to restore, you'll wish you'd spent whatever it took.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.