Where to post HIPS software questions?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by richrf, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

I have a question for the moderators of these forums. Can you provide some guidance as to where is the best place to post general questions regarding HIPS programs. I see them posted in different forums, and presents a problem for members such as myself who would like to track these products, especially new ones.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

rich

I'm not hip, what are HIPS? :D

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yeah, it´s very confusing and annoying, people are posting in all kind of different sections, I think there must be an "Other anti malware (Ad/spyware)" and "Other security software" (HIPS etc.) section. :)

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The line is blurring on all these firewall, antispyware, IDS, HIPS, etc, programs.
    We know that they are all software though. Anything built into a firewall should go in other firewalls.
    The others should go in privacy software.

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Ron.

Rich

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

We'll try a subtle change for right now... I've renamed the privacy software section to:

privacy & other anti-malware software
    discuss privacy and system protection software

Which works because things like Spybot and Ad-aware are discussed there. In time, we may move just that sub-forum up two sections and place it between other anti-trojan software and update alerts, calling it "other anti-malware software" and then reorganize the "privacy" section somehow.

Of course, the problem with HIPS is that there are products with such capabilities that are also something else. As said above, some are combined with firewalls, though others are part of anti-trojan software. The answer to where to post about those is probably based upon whatever the product calls itself. Firewalls with such capability still call themselves firewalls. Anti-Trojans still seem to call themselves that. So it'd be best to put them in the section related to the marketspace they claim to be a part of.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks for the renaming LowWaterMark, I think this is a nice move, it will make things easier. ;)

9. barph

barph Guest

Close; it means "Host-based Intrusion Protection System".

Not to be pedantic or anything.

10. barph

barph Guest

I screwed it up myself by copying-and-pasting and not paying attention.

"host-based intrusion prevention system"

This time it's right. Really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.