Where to buy WinXP at reasonable price?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Snoop3, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

Hi,
    i dont have E-Bay and i see the WinXP on there for like $40-$50 or so with an old HDD and wondering where else i could purchase at a similar price. I'm located in the U.S.

2. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

On a hard drive? Those are salvaged used drives. They were likely already activated and validated by non-unique BIOS PC manufacturer keys. So you are breaking TOS by reusing an OEM copy with unused COA keys (the unique key you get on the sticker). I would only buy sealed NON-ACTIVATED copies.

Ebay etc will still have the best deals with people selling extra sealed copies. Otherwise, expect to pay 70 bucks from places like buy.com/rakuten

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

A friend gave me his Windows 7 OEM product KEY, and before activating I contacted Microsoft. They said that if there are no problems during activation then it's OK. They also said I might face problems in 30 days, which I didn't.

If the drive has an already activated product key then Windows will ask you to activate again, because the hardware isn't the same as it was when the activation occurred. Remember: Windows' activation takes the "activated hardware" into account. Even if you just change the graphics card you might have to activate agian.

So, as Sordid said, you should buy an UNACTIVATED copy. This could mean a copy of WinXP in the Box with the CDKEY. Even if this copy is currently activated you can still activate it on your hardware.... I guess. Or is Windows XP activation servers off?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.