Where is temp file?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sharjohn, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharjohn

sharjohn Registered Member

I have twice had a problem making an image of my c drive, probably both times my fault. It seems that the program crashes or states that it does not have enough room on my c drive to make the copy. Please help me with one aspect of this program. If there is a failure, is there a directory that stores the image while the image is being made? Is it possible that when the program stops (for whatever reason) that a temporary file is left behind? In other words, is there now a directory with garbage which contains the attempted image from the two failures? Seems each time I try to do a backup, the free space on my hard drive gets smaller. Is this question clear as mud?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sharjohn,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

There should be no problem with aborting the image creation (either by yourself or because of soe other reason such as lack of free space). If you cancel the image creation there is no file created.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. sharjohn

Ilya, thank you. I really like this program, but must be missing some instruction. My hard drive is 80 gigs. I have about 50 left. I do a complete backup of the C drive, using max compression. I did not create a safe zone. I had planned on just burning the image to dvd.

Let's assume I can figure out why it was not working in the past, I have two questions:

Will I be able to use a program like Nero or Copy2DVD to copy the image to a dvd? If the image is larger than 4.7, can I break it up over multiple dvd's? Is there a setting that allows me to do this? Can I write directly to dvd from this program by using Nero or Copy2DVD, which would ask for additional dvd's as needed?

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

If you're backing up your C: partition, where are you attempting to put the image?

5. sharjohn

I created a directory on the c drive called Myback. I though that I could save the image to the same partition as the one being backed up. Is that where I am going wrong?

6. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

I believe that you need to image to a different drive or partition. If you're backing up your C: partition, it doesn't make sense to have that image file on the partition that you're backing up. I'm surprised the ATI software even let you attempt this.

7. Acronis Support

Hello sharjohn,

If you want to create image to DVD you need to format DVD disk before burning image to it with Acronis True Image. Also you may create image on your hard disk dividing it into 2Gb parts (as it is recommended size for the sake of compatibility) and then burn to DVDs using your DVD burning software.

Please read the article concerning imaging to DVDs.

If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to ask us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. sharjohn

Irina:
    Two questions 1) Are you saying that I use InCD from Ahead to just format the dvd +R or dvd -R disc or is that program also used in the buring of the image to the dvd?

2) If a dvd is 4.7 gigs, why is the image size reduced to 2 gigs? Is there a way to increase this? Can we compress the materials by using the max compression option in Acronis to get 4 gigs per disc?

9. Acronis Support

Hello sharjohn,

1. Yes, you should only format the DVD disks by means of the writing software (such as Ahead InCD or Roxio DirectCD). Please note that DVD+R at this moment can be formatted only by Roxio Drag To Disc. Then start Acronis program, insert the formatted DVD disk into the DVD+RW or DVD-RW drive and create an image.

2. If you are creating image on DVD using 2-step method you don't need to format anything. You can create image archives on local or network hard drives specifying the image archive split size yourself and burn them to DVDs later. Please note that when you create image in Compression Level window you can see the estimated size of the image archive.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

10. sharjohn

When I go to create an image of my C drive, in a directory called C:\MyBackup, it states that should move it to another drive. All I want to do is create the image in this directory, then burn the image to a dvd.

1. When I get to the point in the process of determining the archive size, it gives me 4 size options: 1.39 MB - Floppy, 100 MB - Zip drive, 650 MB - 650 MB cd and finally 700 MB - 700 MB cd. How do I get to the option of putting it on to a dvd which is 4.7 GB?

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello sharjohn,

In this particular case, just ignore the warning and proceed with creating the image.

When you get to the Image Archive Splitting window, select "Fixed size. Please specify the size:" and just type the file size in manually (see screenshot below).

You might also want to check out this previous thread titled <Am I doing this righto_O>, including the embeded link to another thread titled <DVD Burning with Nero>.

Regards

Attached Files:

12. Acronis Support

Hello sharjohn,

Menorcaman is absolutely correct. If you have any further questions you are welcome to post on Forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.