Where is "Recovery Media Builder"?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by VanguardLH, Mar 11, 2015.

1. VanguardLH

VanguardLH Registered Member

The product manual for Paragon Backup & Recovery 2014 Free says:

What’s New in Backup & Recovery 2014
    Separate x86 and x64 installation packages. Please note that started from HDM 14 installation packages do not include Recovery Media Builder, thus customers can build Linux-based recovery media only through Recovery Media Builder obtained from Paragon's website.

I looked on their web site but found no download for this utility - which is ridiculous and deliberately designed to irritate that it is not included with the product. What did Paragon expect to accomplish with jabbing me with a fork? Later in the manual it says:

Linux-based recovery environments should be prepared on-site with Paragon’s Recovery Media Builder, which you can download from Paragon’s web site, the My Account section (www.paragon-software.com/my-account/).

So I have to register by creating an account to obtain software they should have included with the product? What is "prepared on-site" mean? I have to use some online wizard to build an image of their recovery media and then download that image to then burn onto optical media or put on a USB drive? This is supposed to be more convenient? To whom?

On their product's web page at http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/, it clearly states:

The software requires no registration!

No registration means no account. Looks like they lied.

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Boot Media Builder is "only" accessed from the panel view.

3. VanguardLH

http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/paragon-backup.jpg
    Don't see a tile for Boot Media Builder.

http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/BR2014Free_en_manual.pdf
    Doesn't mention Boot Media Builder.
    It does mention the Recovery Media Builder but that I must have an account to download separately.

The manual on page 6 says "Uplifted Recovery Media Builder. Paragon’s Recovery Media Builder, a simple alternative to Boot Media Builder, ...". So there is mention of Boot Media Builder but no description of it in the manual. Page 12 says:

Building Recovery Media
    Linux-based recovery environments should be prepared on-site with Paragon’s Recovery Media Builder, which you can download from Paragon’s web site, the My Account section (
    www.paragon-software.com/my-account/).

Don't know where is this Boot Media Builder you mention. Does "panel" mean something other than the easy UI of tiles (emulates Win8 UI)?

http://www.teqnewsonline.com/parago...very-2014-free-edition-new-enhanced-features/

That mentions some update to PBR 2014 Free about WinPE. Has PBR 2014 Free been updated to include a WinPE image and creation tools that will create a bootable WinPE image that includes PBR 2014 Free? If so, maybe that's the Boot Media Builder you mentioned and the pic and manual are out of date.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

In Backup & Recovery Free 2014, the module Recovery Media Builder 3.0 is integrated in the program. With this module you can build WinPE or Linux boot media. You can create the WinPE with either the WinRE existing in the Windows installation, or with WADK, which must be previously downloaded and installed. There are some restrictions and some bugs, according to my experience with Hard Disk Manager.

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Yes, there isn't a option for BMB in the full scale launcher.

6. VanguardLH

Thanks for the replies. I already have WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit) installed. I think it was required for Acronis True Image to create their WinPE rescue boot media. Hopefully Paragon made its use easy by just following some wizards and have the program figure out the command-line parameters. As I recall when I used Easeus ToDo Backup, it was a manual process fraught with error and having to do research since Easeus was worthless on how to do it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.