Where is boot manager option to hide other primary partitions?

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by mhejl, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhejl

mhejl Registered Member

SOLVED: Where is boot manager option to hide other primary partitions?

Using PM Professional 10, build 10495, I successfully installed XP on partition 1 and Win 7 on partition 2 and can boot both manually.

When I install Boot Manager, the docs say there's an option to hide other active partitions but I only see normal/hidden boot menu options. Both the above are primary and I tried making them both active but still no option in Boot Mgr configuration.

How can I hide Win 7 partiton from XP via Boot Mgr? If I hide Win 7 manually (using PM), XP can't see it. But, if I then boot Win7, then go back and boot XP, XP again sees the Win 7 partition (causing the dreaded Win 7 restore point wipeout).

I know about the XP registry hack in the MountedDevices hive but I prefer Boot Mgr to completely hide Win 7 from XP - but how?

I've used several other products that can do this (e.g. old version of System Commander).

*** SOLVED ***
    Paragon support comes through, response below. The stupid Win 7 100MB boot partition (which I do NOT use) strikes again. Perhaps PM should actively check for the hidden Win 7 partition rather than assume it is there?

FYI, I was running PM from the XP partition, not Win7, and I also tried the WinPE boot disc and the (Linux) PM disc.

Response from support:

<quote>
    "Hide other primary partitions" option was disabled for Windows 7 on purpose. Windows 7 is sometimes preinstalled and uses two partitions: main system partition and 10MB partition with boot files. "Hide other primary partitions" hides that 100MB partition and Windows 7 can't boot.

If Windows 7 doesn't have that 100MB partition, you can switch that option on. Please do the following:

1) open this folder: "C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Partition Manager 10.0 Personal\bmw"
    2) find there "bmw.xml" and open it with Wordpad
    3) the file should contain only three lines. Delete line, and save the file Run Boot Manager Setup Wizard again and enable "hide other primary partitions" option.
    </quote>​

Note incomplete step 3 - I deleted only the single <HideOtherPrimaryPartitions_Win7 /> XML tag and the feature now works

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. mhejl

mhejl Registered Member

76 views and no one knows and no response to support request? I tested on another box and have same issue. Can someone at least confirm?

Can I get a refund for missing documented functionality and lack of support? :mad:

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

It could be depending on where you installed BM from. If you installed BM from Windows 7, try switching to XP, installed PM and BM, or vice versa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.