Where is a free server where you can run X applications?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Ulysses_, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulysses_

Ulysses_ Registered Member

Someone must be offering this. A server where you can run X applications with the display redirected to your PC. This is for running firefox in a manner that makes it impossible for javascript, java, flash or whatever new browser feature is invented, to reveal your true IP.

Added benefit, even if the server is infected and firefox replaced by malicious software, there is only an X link between the public server and your PC. It goes without saying that this link would be tunneled through some anonymity service.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. x942

x942 Guest

SSH -X does this. Not sure if this is what you want but it sends an X11 window over SSH to your other computer. I use it everyday almost:thumb:

3. Ulysses_

This is useful thanks. But first I need a public server where I can have a free unix account and type SSH -X etc.

4. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

No script firefox add on. Create your own white list. Op are you using Sandboxie to run your browser in?

5. Ulysses_

That would certainly be used, been a user of it since it came out.

I don't see the relevance but no I am not.

6. x942

x942 Guest

Easiest way would be to install a linux server (ubuntu) and than set up an SSH server. From there I would port-forward from you router to your server (give the server a static IP).

Another thing you can do is use a public key to authenticate with the server so only your PC can and you don't have to remember a password.

If you need help on set up I can post a tutorial.:thumb:

7. Ulysses_

But still there is no physical computer where I can do all these. Some company to let me run firefox on their physical computer, in a virtual machine. It's called a VPS, but where do you get one for free?

8. x942

x942 Guest

Sadly I have never seen a free VPS. (plenty of free VPN's though) There are some cheaper ones out there but in all honesty if you can't find a free one (if you do please post a link here - I have been looking for one forever) it will be cheaper to by a $200 PC for use as a server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.