Where does your most of your money go? Prevention, Detection or Cure?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Wildest, Jun 22, 2009.

?

Where does your most of your money go? Prevention, Detection or Cure?

1. Prevention

46 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Detection

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Cure

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. I have more important things to do with my money

45 vote(s)
    43.7%
  1. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

Among these three, I have spent the most of my money in the Cure sector, in the form of my backup system.
    My investment in good automated backup software and large hard drives with redundancy allow me to fully restore my system from any day within the last 30 days.

Second would be Detection, and I spend the least in the area of Prevention.

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

When a PC can be secured for no cost, why spend money on it?

3. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

That is the question, isn't it.

All of my money (in terms of what I spend on computers) goes towards having a system that does things that I want it to do, not into security software of any kind. My software testing days, as far as payware is concerned, are over. :D

Computers don't exist to be platforms for vast piles of security software. They exist to do actual productive work, or entertainment.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Most of my money goes to make my little woman comfortable secure and happy,and to support or home. that puts computers and their security way down on the list of imperatives.

bigc

5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

One day all of these software will be just one smart protection in your OS for now just have to buy it or get it for free. Either way you got some sort of protection. Don't spend a lot of money though on protection.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    To the wife!:D

As an SMB consultant...NFR licensing FTW!

7. Gaeko

Gaeko Guest

I got better things to do with my money. :p

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

My money goes to my wife. :)

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I wonder, what better things one can do with $50 annually. To get one good drink ?

10. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

8 1/2 cases of beer (204 bottles). :D

60 hair cuts.

11. progress

progress Guest

I have more important things to do with my money :thumb:

12. I haven't (yet, I'm thinking of buying DriveSentry) spent anything on security products, but if I did most of the money would go into prevention.

Why?

- Because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (and will save you a ton of trouble)
    - Because some of the best tools for detection (GMER, HJT, MBAM, etc.) are free
    - Because once a machine is infected, it's no longer trustworthy. As far as I'm concerned the only option is to nuke, reinstall, and restore from known clean backups (which I keep plenty of).

13. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

My money is used to alleviate the greed of bill collectors.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Prevention.

15. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I really do have more important things to do with my money.

After "investing" in several dedicated AV/AS applications and five security suites last year and using the pay-to-play stuff just to see if it was really better for me, I'm back to freeware exclusively and don't see myself buying any more security software unless it's something that really interests me and I can get it at a near giveaway price.

Using XP Professional, LUA, SRP, Sandboxie, Prevex (free), MBAM (free), WinPatrol, and the occasional third party firewall, I believe I'm about as safe as I would be using pretty much any combination of payware.

When I'm tired of a particular install, or if I feel "something" might have gotten through the layered protection, I simply wipe the drive (40 gig- about 12 minutes), format via windows, and clone another base install from one of my XP masters using CopyWipe.

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

With the amount of quality programs available as freeware I spend very little on security programs.
    I did buy a license for WinPatrol Plus so I voted for prevention.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I voted "cure" but in the sense of total recovery of a system. Cure refers more to sanitizing an infected system, cleaning files and folders which I would never do on my own system. Backing up and virtualization are the areas I spent most of the money.

18. suliman

suliman Registered Member

Being a ubuntu user, obviously I wouldnt have to pay any money if I ever would need to use security software :)

But when I was on Windows most of the money went on cure. I tested alot of imaging software until I found the imo ultimate (reliable and fast) restore software - Shadowprotect (and to some extent the original FirstdefenseISR).
    Prevention was free since I ran as a limited user with Software Restriction Policies.

19. progress

progress Guest

I agree, one can get prevention, detection and cure for free these days :thumb:

20. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

Look at the advert. Your computer may be going slow because of clutter in the registry. Take a free scan now. 70 or 80 items found that are not required. Get rid of them now by pressing next. AH! there is a catch---you have to pay for the programme.
    There is a distinct similarity to advert to rid your computer of virus's and trojans etc. If you accept the free scan you can bet your boots it will find a few but to get rid of them you have to pay.
    Were the registry clutter or virus's there in the first place? I doubt it.
    John

21. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Mine and yours goes to the Gov in taxes covert and overt, and since the last 2 years, and ongoing forever now, continued trillions of $ in bailout $ to the bankers and the fed and their friends etc etc.

22. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

I have never paid for anti-malware software in my life. I receive licenses from most of the big companies for free.

23. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Most of my money goes in mobile phone bills ...

24. My money goes into the OS itself. I use free tools for most everything else.

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Hardware and games, what little I have to devote to it.

Security wise, I shelled out some dollars for vmWare some time ago now. A very good investment, may not have made me any money, but gained me a lot of that invaluable TIME.

I paid for Sandboxie, and would do so again. The features of the paid vs. the free are just too much to pass up, and it is IMHO the best money I can spend on security.

Everything else is free, or not for me ;)

Sul.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.