Where does Windows Vista store application window location?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Hi,

Where does Windows store the last location where an application window was? I seem to remember that is stored this information centrally and that you could manipulate it. I want to tell Windows to open a specific application in a certain place every time it starts.

2. Close_Hauled

I found where window locations are stored after reading thus article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235994

Now I just need to learn how to manipulate it. If anyone knows of any utilties, please reply.

3. Close_Hauled

I got home and took a look at my Vista 64 system. Vista 64 does not have HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU in the registry. I searched the entire registry fro StreamMRU and could not find it. Does anyone have any ideas?

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

You mean as in 'persistence,' described here - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511262.aspx? Only bit's and pieces of info Close .... something on the codeguru site but haven't looked at it close enough to decide if it's even usable. Truth is I haven't had reason to stay current with anything vi$ta these day's.

Steve

5. Close_Hauled

Something like that. That site is for developers, so it is not much help.

I seem to remember a utility a couple years back that manipulated this data. I am hoping to remember where I found it.

If we could figure out how to interpret the StreamMRU, that would be cool.

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Still no taker's? OK Close, here's an idea that seemed to make sense .... why not head down (or up) to your local Barnes & Noble bookseller's and flip through a few of the latest on Vi$ta, perhap's an offering in the excellent O'Reilly series? See it as twofold .... not only will you be able to relax in the comfort of a nice ac'd environment with expensive, tasty beverage in hand, but you'll benefit too by giving those precious eye's of your's a much needed breather.

Steve

7. Close_Hauled

I am still looking around for an answer. I haven't found anything yet. If anyone has any other ideas, that would be great!

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Is this any help?

If your desktop or folders on your desktop do not retain their settings:

Start Regedit

Go go HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions

Create or edit the DWORD value NoSaveSettings

Give it a value of 0

The above may not apply to Vista. :blink: Other users would like to know as well.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.