Where Does OA Fit?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It is difficult for me to categorize the various anti-malware applications to the degree necessary to determine my needs for security.
    I am a super safe surfer FWIW.

Where does Online Armor fit or overlap within my security set up? Would it add significantly to security considering the other applications shown below?

My OS is W XP Home SP2
    KAV6
    Ewido Plus
    SuperAntiSpyware
    LooknStop
    Win Patrol Plus
    UnHackMe
    Snoopfree
    Spyware Guard
    Spyware Blaster
    AdAware SE

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

OA could replace snoopfree iirc and it monitors the HOSTS file so u should disable winpatrol's HOSTS monitor. other than that, OA would nicely compliment and improve your protection.

if u dont mind me saying, i think ur current setup already has its own overlap. ewido plus is redundant because KAV already has great trojan detection likewise u should just keep superantispyware and leave adaware.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll think on that suggestion. I have a lifetime license for Ewido, and it runs well with other applications. I would be prone to remove AsAware, as it never finds anything except a few tracking cookies.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

:isay: I have to say that ewido detected me some trojans that KAV missed, maybe they not were activated but where bundled with other archives I had, but with KAV is enough.:cool:

5. muf

muf Registered Member

Personally? I'd add OA and remove Ad-Aware and SpywareGuard. I don't see any benefit in running these two apps with the other apps you would have running. They would be redundant IMHO. I'd keep WinPatrol for the autostart, cookies and services monitoring.

FWIW, here is my current setup:
    Zone Alarm Free
    Online Armor
    KAV 6
    SuperAntispyware Pro
    Boclean
    SuperAdBlocker
    Cookiewall
    Regrun Platinum(includes Unhackme)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

muf

[edit: Swapped WinPatrol for Spywareguard as i realised you would benefit from WinPatrol's startup, cookie and services monitoring.]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI muf,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure that AdAware is worth anything these days. As to Spyware Guard, I am not sure how it works, and whether SAS or one of the other applications duplicates what it does. Of course, AsAware does not run until time to scan, but it never finds anything other than a few cookies.

But what does OA do that other applications that I have do not do?

Regards,
    Jerry

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  7. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

JerryM your a supersafe surfer than forget OA.

AS for overlap uninstall spywareGuard.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, betauser2.
    I appreciate the help.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.