Where Do You Rate The Importance Of Antiviruses In Your Setup

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tobacco, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I am no different than most here and have enjoyed testing out the various security products and their directions. But even having scanner after scanner installed, i still leaned heavily on an Antivirus for protection. And as good as some of them are, i still felt vulnerable in my internet and email use because of the way an antivirus works (Reactive Approach). I have concluded that what works best for my usage is to run my browsers, email, etc in a 'Sandbox' and therefore greatly reduced the importance i used to place on an antivirus catching everything i may encounter. So now, an antivirus has become just a part of my security setup instead of it being the 'Main and most Important' part.

How bout you?.

Have you gone or are thinking about going in this direction?.

Or do you still place the most importance of your setup on your Antivirus?.

2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I guess it's the main part for me, but I don't for the life of me understand the point of this thread, I guess because it's a 'who cares' kinda thing. No offense.

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Judging by your setup, i would say it is.

None taken!

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm thinking like you Tobacco. First and foremost a sandbox! IF something passes through then you look for whatever makes you feel safer. And even there the AV is getting overcome. The classical AV that is.

5. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for me teh antivirus is still the main part though a firewall also plays a big role.

7. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I constantly read about all the CIPS, HIPS and sandbox programs and try to stay abreast of all the new technologies out there, but for me, I still depend and rely on my antivirus program as my main line of defense. I primarily use the internet for email, reading newsgroups, online banking and educational requirements. I do not surf the internet and download stuff like I use to, if I did, I would consider a more pro-active approach to internet secuity. As it stands right now, my current antivirus solution provides the performance, protection and stability I need to feel secure and well protected when using my computer online.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

fortunatly most antivirus programs don't just detect virus. they have mutated into a different program than they were a year or even six months ago. And yes I do still depend on it's capabilities to do what it does along with my other security programs. In my opinion the people that have quit useing av programs are making a possible bad mistake. One of these day it might have stopped the one piece of malware that got by your other apps and raped your computer. Is it really worth taking that chance. It is not a matter of cost since there are some pretty deceny free av's.

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Well, i haven't reached that point yet, still feel the need to have one running. Just don't feel i have to rely on it like i did before i started using a 'Sandbox'.

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Yep, a sandbox app does give you one more step in security :thumb:

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s still no.1 for me.
    Just take an example, if u are bound to run ur PC with a single application out of these-- Av, Firewall, HIPS, Sandbox, Behav Blocker, etc, what u will choose.
    For me AV will be the first choice.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Well i didn't quit my AV either. I just don't depend on it. I prefer to keep it. I won't "spit" at those who first protected me.
    But they do have to pick up the pace. Some are. Otherwise i will get them out later on.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If i had to choose, it would be hard, but i would go for Prevx1. Or sandbox.
    I thinko_O :eek: :blink: o_O :ouch:

14. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

My first line of defense is "Common Sense" or Safe surfing
    Second is always a Hardware router, I usually travel with one.
    Third I guess would have to be the AV
    Forth use a Gecko based browser

Using these practices(minus gecko) I have not been infected since 1999,
    damn happy99 worm...

15. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

An av is my last defense. If something I do is completely dumb, or if the other users on my pc mess up and it somehow gets my first lines of defense(pretty hard to do), then I have it there waiting for me. If it wasn't for the other users that use this pc, I would probably not have an av(actually, I probably wouldn't have Windows XP either, but that's another story ;) )

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'd rate it high.
    #2 behind a firewall.

17. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I'm with BigC on this one.

I believe it is the first security software that should be loaded and up and running...the very bare minimum in PC security. Yes you can have other security but make no mistake without an AV there is a hole in you protection. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.