Where do phone computer scan callers get you name and number?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by nine9s, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

I had a call today from a lady and man with Indian accents. I think they claimed to be with Microsoft or something. The lady told me that my computer was sending errors to them, and was infected with many viruses and she would help clean it up for me.

I played dumb, as she asked me what key, on my keyboard, was to the right of my left CTRL key (I kept saying spacebar) but I suspect she was trying to get me to hit the Windows key then open Event Viewer so she could show me all the "viruses" (when I read on the scam afterwards, this is how it explained to work - you open Event Viewer per their instructions and they tell you that all the warnings and errors you see are viruses.)

With me playing so dumb, she skipped that part of showing me proof of all the "viruses." She then wanted me to go to the showmypc website (I assume to download the showmypc program and give her the generated password so she could take control of my PC.) I did not go to the site, and by that time, I was bored, so I thanked her for staying on the line so long and told her it was long enough to trace her call.

What I am wondering is how she knew my name and had my phone number. Having a name and phone number implies a fairly sophisticated operation in my opinion.

How did these scammers get their call list, anyone know?

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I assume they get them through other databases, both public and, probably, passed between scamming outfits. I keep getting one lately that wants to "give me a free home security system", lol. I've had that Microsoft call before, I had fun with that one.

3. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

I think the home security one is just a shady business but a legitimate product. They just give you a free system, that is very small, so after you pay for installation and extra windows and doors coverage and beyond basic monitoring, it is $1000+ plus high monthly monitoring fee. Still a real product though.

I assume the virus scam is either to plant a keylogger on your PC, after you give them the code for showmypc or whatever monitoring program they get you too install, and/or that plant ransomware or some other software they will charge you to take off.

It just seems that to have a caller list with name and number, they are more sophisticated than people using bots etc. to spread keyloggers etc. So, I was curious how they get the lists - just go through an American phonebook assuming most people will have a Windows PC, or do they get internet providers lists or other more direct lists. The caller used my real full name, which is not my day to day first name, so either from phone listing or through a caller list that was generated from an actual merchant like my utility company or ISP or something because all my online accounts, that require real names have my day to day first name.

4. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

It's really not hard to find phone numbers.

They just figure most people use Windows because it's by far the most likely answer to that question. It's not unlike how "psychics" make good guesses about a missing person being dead (of course that can come back to bite them if the person is found alive - right, Sylvia Browne?). If one of these callers runs into a Mac or Linux user, he just moves on to another.

5. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Thanks. So I should not be concerned that they found my name? It is likely an easy list like phone listings or some other public information?

6. avboy

avboy Registered Member

My guesses:
    Do you use a smartphone with Truecaller or similar app installed? If true caller can do it legitimately, can't other apps do it secretly?

Your card company's data privacy policy or even hacked database

Paypal database (confirmed hacked)

People finder etc.

I mean aren't there so many ways to find your name and phone number? They don't know its YOU who they are calling. They are calling someone by your name on your number, if you understand my confusing statement.

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Not likely to get me...I have an unlisted number. :)

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

"Microsoft Security Department" called me yesterday.(Indian accent and A LOT of noise in the background)

"Hello I am calling you from the Microsoft Security Department, how are you Sir?" After that I hung up since I didn't have time to screw around at that moment, this time they called from a secret number, first time they called from a secret number to me. :D

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Seems like you guys are having lots of fun. Hahahahaha

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Next time they call, I will say "You called me yesterday and you "fixed" my computer, do you really need to fix it today again?" I'm sure they will answer "Yes we do" :D

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's a strategy that will serve you your entire life. No matter who calls you and tries to sell you anything, sell them something back. Any time I get a call from anyone, including legit companies, I try to sell them Fiat Uno 1994, black, mint condition. Always works.

Remember: Fiat Uno, 1994, black.

Mrk

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hahaah LOL. And why on earth would they (or anyone) want it? Or did you chose that particular brand and car only to find out that they will probably laugh ? I know I would anyway :D

But OK. I (might) try this next time, I promise I will try to remember this :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.