Where can I get McAfee Virus Scan for cheap?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I don't know why on earth my work place and every other company I've worked for insist on using this piece of junk AV :rolleyes:

Anyway, I did a mistake by uninstalling it and the IT d00d gave me teh ~ Snipped as per TOS ~

Now I must find a way to install it again, the only setup file I found in the IT shared folder was for the McAfree Agent but not the actual Virus Scan

I was thinking lemme put an end to this and just purchase a cheap 1 year license before I Get in trouble but none of the sites I usually shop at offer McAfee at all in their range of products

anywhere I can get a cheap reliable copy from? :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I buy essentially all my AVs on ebay. If one buys boxed copies from a seller with a good record, and uses PayPal it has always worked for me.
    I realize some do not trust ebay, but my own results have been good. They have some listed at this time.

Jerry

3. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

I usually use amazon for most of my software.Great deals can almost always be had there.

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Its not your job to be your company's IT tech. You can't even imagine the extra work he probably has to do after everything gets fixed. I would just take the rap and let him fix the problem.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Agreed.

It is also not the employees job to take actions that violate company policy. You do not have the authority to override software selections even if you are technically correct.

6. berryracer

I see :(

I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and tell him to fix it :(

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha bad move. Don't they have like a Multi PC license since it's a company? :rolleyes:

8. Just say it was an accident. ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ Happens right?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  9. Taliscicero

Just say that you don't know where McAfee went. He would probably just shrug at you and set it back up again thinking your just dumb and did something weird. He won't be mad because most IT guys think they are smarter then the user anyway and you won't get in trouble. If you want the company to use different software you should have made a case to your boss on why and how much money switching would save the company due to better security and less data loss. You infact, made it worse. :p

10. berryracer

Yeah I guess I'll do that.

How do you convince those IT d00ds who think they know it all that McAfee is one of the worst AVs in the world, has horrible detection rates, and is a big resource hog?

I want to present them evidence

11. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Maybe you should wait a good 6 months after your machine is fixed before you embark on that mission. May then IT won't put 2 and 2 together and realize what really happened to your machine.:argh:

12. Taliscicero

Corporate McAfee is not that bad, it has good centeral management systems which is why many use it and you find it at many of your work places. I would just leave it up to them and worry about your own computer. :)

13. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

the IT department mistake was not to password protect the McAfee client installation. so you can "blame" them for that.
    being a corporate PC and a corporate McAfee license, probably the IT guys can just install the McAfee client on your PC from the server, without the need to come to your PC.

14. berryracer

ah I see

yeah you're right

15. Seer

Seer Registered Member

The Agent is all that is needed to be installed on a workstation, but please...
    Don't take any initiative, as you nearly made the problem worse by installing the Virus Scan in a corporate environment.
    As suggested above, just call the IT guy and play an idiot.

When selecting software for a corporate environment, IT d00ds often have various administrative factors to consider before they come to evaluate the efficiency of the software itself.
    In other words, it is in fact you who thinks that you know it all.

Once your PC is fixed (Agent back on, and limited account properly setup hopefully) I would leave it well enough alone.

16. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

just email mcafee and ask or use the chat :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.