where can i find out how many items there are in the most recent database?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by iceni60, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have to manually update, but because i never know how many items there are in the most recent database i never know until after i have manually updated if i needed to update in the first place. is there anywhere where i can find out how many items there are in the current database before i update?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey iceni60,

You can view the latest database info via the program.

Attached Files:

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Bubba :) i didnt word my question very well sorry. what i ment is i have 3115 in my database, so i see now i need to update. but because it takes, i think, 5 manual updates for me to update, in the past i have updated and enabled protection only to find out that i didnt need to update. is there a way for me to find out how many items the server holds in the lastest update before i update.

i just read through that paragraph and it doesnt make much sense to me, i hope i got my question across ok :( im having trouble writting clear sentences today sorry

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

No problem iceni60....I have those same days :)

"but because it takes, i think, 5 manual updates for me to update"

I understand what your asking now....but is there a reason why you manually update ?

As of yet....there is no apparent way of knowing what is part of a SpywareBlaster update unless one manually downloads the individual 5 files and checks their respective dates....or....by relying on a notification thread in one of our Forums or other Forums.

Take for instance the latest 9/7/04 update....the only file that was really needed if one wanted to manually download was....sbdatabase2.dtb....which added 7 new entries to the ActiveX CLSID protection. But....like your asking....how do we know that ?

I'm going to speak to Javacool concerning this matter and possibly make a volunteer effort to supply what is part of an update....similar to what Ad-aware does for example.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks again, Bubba. i'll update sbdatabase2.dtb. i manually update only because it wont update the normal way, ive tried changing in update options(direct connection, proxy etc) but SB says it's updating, then when its finished it says there are 0 unprotected items. i somtimes have trouble updating adaware too, and there was someting else too, so i think it maybe me that has the problem and not SB. anyway, thanks for your help Bubba :)

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hey Bubba,

I'd previously made this suggestion to the Lavasoft team, and it's probably a good one to pass along to JC also -- take a look at the updating "engine" and see if there's a way to modify it so that def updates can be incremental rather than complete. Avast a-v works that way, and the updates when available download and install in nothing flat, even on dialup.

But now that I look back, I think that's essentially what you're suggesting too, in different words. Typically there aren't that many additions/changes when SB updates, so incremental updates should be quite tiny if the mechanics of handling them that way can be worked out.

Best,
    Mike

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

"then when its finished it says there are 0 unprotected items"

Actually....doesn't it say....0 items have protection disabled ?

If so....that's a good thing....because what it's saying in essence is that ALL items are checked.

For example....If you uncheck one of the items as part of the Internet Explorer or Restricted sites Protection....and select....Remove Protection for Unchecked items....you should now see the Main Protection section now saying....1 items have protection disabled.

Also....just to make sure you still have all the proper dated files....since you may or may not be up to date....would you mind checking in the Program Files\Spywareblaster folder and show the date of those files ?

I'll also show what my file dates are.

ckdatabase.dtb 7/7/04
    rsdatabase.dtb 8/29/04
    sbdatabase.dtb 7/7/04
    sbdatabase2.dtb 9/7/04
    sbinfo.dtb 7/7/04

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello, ive taken a screenshot of SB directly after updating just to show where i ment about the 0 unprotected items, i think if it had updated it would say 7(?) unprotected items

also here are the dates you asked for:

ckdatabase.dtb 7/7/04
    rsdatabase.dtb 7/7/04
    sbdatabase.dtb 7/7/04
    sbdatabase2.dtb 8/16/04
    sbinfo.dtb 7/7/04

Attached Files:

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your absolutely correct and the below files would bring you up to date.

Have you been involved in a thread to determine why you can't update ?

rsdatabase.dt 8/29/04=Restricted Sites list if you use that feature.
    sbdatabase2.dtb 9/7/04=part of the Internet explorer ActiveX protection....which includes the latest additions.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

no. the last version wouldnt update even on a fresh install of xp, so i just live with it, plus, i havent looked closely, but it seems others have trouble too, so ive always accepted it. really, and i dont like to ask for anything from javacool, but if it would be possible to have a reference list of the updates on a sticky/his site, that would be great, the manual updates wouldnt be a problem then.
    and thanks for your help, Bubba :cool: . im now up-to-date :)

11. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Is your Firewall configured to allow SB an out, via TCP\UDP, in order to grab the updates ?

Regards.

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

no, just TCP, it is one of the only things that updates that i have made a rule for, but the others on both sides of the rules that are updates work fine. here is the rule. ive checked and theres nothing blocking it

Attached Files:

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

"i dont like to ask for anything from javacool"

Yeah me neither....but in this case....their are plenty of folks that would be glad to attempt to assist you other than Javacool....if you want to fix the problem :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.