Where are the ip ranges for every country in the world?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Escalader, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello fellow privacy posters!

Where/how would a user (me) find the ip ranges for every country in the world?

For example, if I wanted to put Romania in my permanent block list (nothing against individual Romanians here of course) currently I have:

80.86.106.0 ---> 80.86.106.255

But I'm not sure if that is the whole country or just the city of Bucharest?

There are other countries I want to block but where can I find a valid/official list of ip ranges for these?

Any ideas? Links?

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

OA makes this eazy through the IP range or just by country. :D

Attached Files:

4. Escalader

Hi LoneWolf:

Yes, I'm using that feature of OA myself it is easy isn't it! FWIW I do the opposite of what you do, I deny all countries, except a short list of 16 or so that I allow. That way it is easier to manage. Also in line with my own personal security philosophy of deny by default and allow by exception.

Anyway, not to prattle on , what I'm working on with this post is plan B.

Not every FW has such a country list and I've been known to switch FW's in the past. So I was clued into a product called PG 2, which blocks or allows ip's based on maintained for me lists provided by Bluetack the format OA uses as well.

I intend to block ip's using PG 2 lists and want to see if I can set up block all ip's except the ranges of my 16 or so countries allowed. Don't know yet if it's feasible but it might be.

Plan c is really ugly, in PG 2 I would have 2 lists, block all ip's the whole range, then as I surf and connect PG 2 says this ip is blocked and it has a feature which allows me to allow it so over time I would have my own ip white list. erg don't like it much...

5. Togg

Togg Registered Member

It is quite possible that I have completely misunderstood what it is that you are looking for!

But, just in case I haven't, have you looked at the IP Adresses section at the IANA website?:http://www.iana.org/ipaddress/ip-addresses.htm

Maybe the National or Regional Internet Registries are the place to start (assuming they let us ordinary folks have access)?

6. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Ok, I'm going to step up and ask simply because nooned else has, possibly because they already know.

Is that program using an actual database of what IP belongs to what country, or is it just using the reverse DNS and looking at the country code attached?

It seems to me that IP addresses would be far to fluid to keep track of without constant updates, in addition to the release of all the IPv6 addresses.

7. Escalader

Not at all! Good points!

"that program" do you mean PG 2? If so here is the link for you to the forums over there on how they work.

http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/

I agree with you about the constant updates for a the black list method.

This is why I want a smaller white list of countries I need which is easier to maintain, while blocking all ips.

Can you tell us about the IPv6 addresses, are they in use? buy whom etc etc do the FW's deal with them etc etc.

8. Escalader

Hi Togg:

Not at all! I could have described it better! I want to research an idea for blocking by default and allow by exception for my blocking program PG 2.

I am thinking allow a short list of a dozen or so countries while at the same time blocking the entire www range! Whoa....

PG 2 lets allows override so in theory it should work. I may block one or two ip's I need but when I find those I can allow them one by one.

I have to go and look at the IANA site you gave us to see what is there.

Thanks for the site!:thumb:

9. Togg

Togg Registered Member

I'm sure the IANA site mentions IPv6 addresses and probably links to some of the technical stuff about it (way over my head I'm afraid).

10. Escalader

You are right! Site does talk about IPv6. But all I read so far dealt with the format of these new addresses.

11. Togg

Togg Registered Member

12. Escalader

13. ConstantLearning

ConstantLearning Registered Member

This is a very interesting discussion :thumb:

Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute to it apart from my interest in being able to block communication with Countries I have no reason to communicate with.

Either I'm having a "thick" day (very likely) or there is no way to subscribe to a thread without posting in it - it could easily be either reason today :doubt:
    Anyway, I can now follow this intriguing discussion by subscribing. Thank you

Please excuse the absence of any useful input.

~CL

14. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Free DNS tools and daily updated:

http://member.dnsstuff.com/pages/tools.php?ptype=free#group_1

Gerard

15. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

I think this is exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.find-ip-address.org/ip-country/

16. Tech Manager

Tech Manager Registered Member

I think Country IP Blocks is exactly what you are looking for. The country database is among the most accurate in the world as related to registrar data. You can get your data in CIDR, Netmask or IP Range format as well as decimal and hex. You can also instantly generate .htaccess deny and allow lists.

Check it out at Country IP Blocks

The database is completely updated and refreshed at least once daily, seven times a week, 365 days a year.

The Country IP Database is searchable.

Data formats can be customized to individual needs.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  17. Mapson

Mapson Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.