When will Eset provide instructions on how to create a boot CD to delete viruses?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by J. A. Beanstalk, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. A. Beanstalk

J. A. Beanstalk Registered Member

Sure, technically advanced users of this forum can do searches and painstakingly piece together what they need from third party sources--after hours of jumping through hoops. And if they’re lucky, the CD may work, and it may even be legal to use. But what about the rest of us who need step by step instructions? As well as those who want OFFICIAL instructions from the company, in order to ensure they aren‘t violating any copyright laws, etc.

Why has Eset ignored this important issue for so long? Is it a simple case of corporate indifference (bad business practices), or is something else involved? Inquiring minds want to know--as common sense dictates that a boot CD goes hand in hand with an AV program.

I’ve wracked my brain, but have been unable to come up with any logical explanation for why they would make it as difficult as possible for the average user of their program to remove viruses. Perhaps the owner has delegated too much responsibility to employees who have no performance incentive? In other words, the underlings in charge get paid the same salary regardless of how much the sales increase. So they have zero incentive to respond to the needs of their customers in a responsible manner.

If Eset chooses to ignore this thread, would anyone happen to have an email address for the owner? As perhaps he relies on disinterested subordinates to peruse forums to stay in tune with customers’ opinions, as well as respond to email that's not addressed to him personally. :eek:

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    There are , we suppose, some "underlings" who only work for mere money but actually there are quite a few of us who additionally work for the joy of accomplishing a worthy goal and seeing a job well done and to be the best we can be even if we feel we may be underpaid for it.

3. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Here you go, Jack. Have at it! Hope they can answer your questions so the poor people here don't have to feel personally attacked by your comments. You've made your point, which is pretty clear by now. Your problem really is with corporate and not with any of these people. I don't usually hang out around this part of Wilders, but couldn't resist writing.

(not sure where you are from. This is USA contact information.)
    Mailing address
    Eset Software
    1317 Ynez Place
    Suite CD, Coronado
    California, 92118
    USA Phone(619) 437-7037
    Fax(619) 437-7045

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Don't bother writing to the USA office! They are terrible. I too want to know how to create a boot CD with NOD32 on it. I have asked for two years how to do this! NOD32 Australia site says to use AV Disk to make boot floppies. I spent a lot of time trying to get that to work and never could. Eset ignores all inquires on this topic. So don't hold your breath that you will get any kind of useful answer.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Ive found the "easiest" way round this prob is to use the bootable floppies you can create using kav(if necessary download a trial of 4.5 just for this purpose!) you dont have to have kav installed/running on machine for these to be effective,they also work with ntfs drives because the use linux and not dos
    I know it doesn't address the problem of creating a "rescue"disc using Nod but if anybody gets into situation where a bootable cd/floppy is needed:-this is an option that can be used
    Steve

7. My new computer doesn't even have a floppy drive. :(

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Tell me about it. :) I had to pay extra to get a floppy drive on my Dell 8300 last November. This is why we need a working NOD32 plugin for BART PE so we can make a boot CD with NOD32 on it and whatever else tools we want on there.

9. You must be one of the "technically advanced" users that Jack was referring to. I don't even know what a "plugin" means in the context of a boot CD, or what else is in the list of ingredients that's necessary for the CD, or where to get the other ingredients, or how they're supposed to be mixed together, or what you plug the plugin to, or how you get a CD to boot up a PC running XP without having XP on the CD. :(

And if I used my vacation time to try and figure out all of these things on my own, I’d still need help to explain what some of the technical terms mean in order to make sure I was doing things properly, so all of the time I invested wouldn’t go to waste.

So if some kind soul who knows how to do all of these things finds the time to post a step by step list of instructions in this thread*, could you please make it simple enough for dummies like me to understand? *Providing of course that this thread is ignored by the company, and someone can find a “plugin” for the current version. Any help extended to the dummies of this forum by the technically advanced will be GREATLY appreciated.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

LOL :D I'm not technically advanced, but I am willing to try and make a BART PE boot CD. It looks complicated but not too difficult if taken slowly step by step. But it will take considerable time since I haven't done it before.

We really need something that most every user could follow to make a boot CD with NOD32 on it. I couldn't get AV Disk to work and I tried and spent considerable time on it. I don't know why Eset ignores this issue, but I'm sure if we can find a plugin for the current NOD32, or someone who reads this will make one, then someone will post step by step here how to do it. I can't promise that I will be that user because I might not be able to get it to work but if I do, then I'll post how to do it. I know Blackspear uses this and has posted fantastic other step by step tutorials for NOD32 so....

11. You're more advanced than me, because I don't even know what a "BART PE" is, much less what to do with one. :(

That's exactly right, as it makes no sense for many thousands of people to each have to go on a mind numbing exploration in cyberspace, piecing together parts of a complex puzzle--without even knowing if all of the pieces will fit.

I don't know either, but I'm not too happy about it. If I speculated it was because of laziness, ineptitude, or incompetence--I would be jumping to conclusions. So in all fairness to Eset, I think they should be given the opportunity to respond before I openly criticize them.

12. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Because a lot of the newer computer do not have a floppy drive do any of the other AV companys now provide instructions on making a bootable CD for WinXP and their AV?

You would think some of them would provide the instructions.

If so that might be worth looking at for information on how they are doing it.

If not then is there some sort of legal issue involved by providing a bootable WinXP CD?

13. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Stan999,

I don't know how to make one, but I would think all you need is to be able to read the NTFS drives. But I think the problem is there is no "DOS" like version of NOD that could clean in the pre boot environment.
    Eset would have to make a "DOS" scanner/cleaner for it to work. You can't just take a windows program, put it on a "DOS" boot CD and expect it to work.

I think it is a GREAT idea. If you read this Eset, please make a boot cd capable of deleting viruses! And/or provide simple instructions how to make one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  14. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

15. Really?

Really? Guest

Really? Eset is legally required to provide us with a boot cd and if they don't we can all get rich suing them? Cool!

:rolleyes:

16. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Under what concept of law would they be "required" to provide a bootable cd? They neither claim to do it nor advertise that they do it.

17. J. A. Beanstalk

Sorry Mele, I had some other leads but they didn't pan out. But I'm sure someone who sees this thread will have an answer for us.

18. J. A. Beanstalk

Hi gberns, he was just kidding--note the rolling eyes in the smilie thing.

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I'm sure if enough people ask for a version that can be put on a boot cd, then they will make one. But if only a few people want one (there ARE other ways of going about these things) then it's not fair to the rest of their customers to spend the time developing one when they could/should be spending that time improving things like their Advanced Heuristics which everyone else is asking for/demanding.

I also just don't agree with the idea that every novice user should be provided with an easy way of gaining unrestricted access to the file system with the intention of "cleaning" it the way a boot cd does. You can get yourself in a lot of trouble if you don't know what you are doing, with or without NOD32. This brings to mind the example of when a friend was doing tech support for Windows 95 and had a caller who was trying to free up disk space and hosed his system because he "didn't need no kernel"

20. J. A. Beanstalk

Hi luv2bsecure, I'm not really anti-corporate, it's just that when I know I’m right, I can’t resist being a LOUD ‘squeaky wheel’. :) As my experience has been that consumers who squeak like mice are generally kicked aside like mice. Anyway, thanks for the info.

21. Devinco

Excellent info there. Thanks WilliamP! :)

So what is needed now is for Eset to make an updated NOD32 BartPE plugin, right? If so, that should be much easier than having to design a whole new "DOS" scanner. It would be just an update to a plugin that already exists.

Here is the only link I found for the NOD32 BartPE plugin, but as Mele20 said, it doesn't work with the new NOD32. (I have not confirmed this myself.)

This boot CD would be even safer than scanning in safe mode.
    It would be much easier than having to remove the hard drive and slave it off a clean computer. Just pop in the cd, boot up, scan and clean, with no interference from a compromised OS and/or compromised security programs.

I think Eset should give its customers something like this. It is not unreasonable. In the past, AV (with signatures) used to fit on a floppy and you could just boot up and scan and clean. We now appear to have the ability to make a BartPE/WinPE boot disc. All we need is Eset to update the NOD32 BartPE plugin.

22. jofallon

jofallon Registered Member

I note that McAfee does have a plug-in for the BartPE disk, and that it is easy to get very current signatures to add to it (having done this a couple of hours ago).

Advanced heuristics, better detection, etc are very nice and good to have, but being able to run NOD from a more or less known clean boot environment might be more important to some of us. The first time many of us consider buying a new and better AV is when our existing AV product has proven fallable. Being able to clean your infected PC before installation seems a good selling point. I know Norton used to have it; I do not know if they do still, having bought NOD to get away from Norton (which did not find some email viruses that trial versions of NOD and Kaspersky 5 did find.).

23. Devinco

Hi jofallon,
    NAV2003 (as part of SystemWorks Pro 2003) is able to boot from the install CD and do an AV scan. It is a pitiful implementation though. It is a Win98 bootCD so no NTFS. It did a DOS memory scan and boot sector scan (of the A: Drive).
    I wonder if the newer versions are more adept.

Eset,
    Please implement this ability to make a boot cd. Either directly from within the program, or indirectly by making a BartPE plugin that can be easily updated with the latest signatures.
    Thank you

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

NO response from Eset yet? Marcoso_O?

25. I WAS on the fence as to whether to buy NOD or KAV until I saw this thread. As I had no idea that an AV company would not provide a way to make a boot disk, since it's so crucial to dealing with stubborn viruses. So I checked into it and learned that KAV does provide whatever you need to make "Rescue Disks". The only problem is that it has to be done with floppy disks rather than a CD.

But that's better than nothing, since at least I don't have to drag my tower out from under my desk, and pull a bunch of cables, etc., in order to use the slave drive method. So it looks like I will be buying KAV Pro even though it costs $79.95 vs $39 for NOD32, AND I will have to buy a floppy drive from eBay for my new PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.