When True Image Fails to Recognize its Archives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by srdiamond, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srdiamond

srdiamond Registered Member

Several times I have had TrueImage tell me that there are no backups in my well-populated Secure Zone. Or tell me that my non-SecureZone archive is not a TrueImage archive. In the past updating to the latest version has solved the problem but left me wondering what I would do if I got such a report when I really needed the backup.

Now, however, I get both messages afte updating to the latest version--the Secure Zone, with its 25 GB of date, "contains no backups." ALSO that my other archive is not an Acronis TrueImage archive.

Why does Acronis have problems recognizing the archives created with it? What can I do to solve and avoid this problem. Although I have been rigorously maintaining backup, I find myself effectively without a backup now. Surely something is remiss somewhere.

Added--

I have ruled out disk error. One previous "cure" I have employed for Secure Zone problems is to eliminate the SecureZone and then recreate it. I know of no other way to get rid of any corruption that might reside there. I now get error messages when I try to do that. They point to a log message that Acronis was unable to "find the partition."

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello srdiamond,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3666.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

After installing the update please remove the already existing Acronis Secure Zone using Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard accessible via the main program window (see section 3.3 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide for further details).

If you cannot remove Acronis Secure Zone using the above mentioned wizard then please delete it using Windows Disk Management (Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management) or any partitioning and disk managing software such as Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 for example.

Then please re-create Acronis Secure Zone anew using Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard and continue creating backups as usual and see if the problem persists.

If the problem appears again then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Let us know when Acronis Secure Zone "corruption" occurs exactly;

- Did you change your computer's hardware or software configuration in any way?

- Did you use any other backup software, partitioning and disk managing software, antivirus and the alike applications?

- Do you receive any error, warning or informational messages? What exact messages do you receive? When exactly do you receive them?

As for Acronis True Image complaining about backups archives stored in some place other than Acronis Secure Zone being not Acronis True Image archives, please do the following:

- Create new backup archive under the same conditions;

- Make sure that it can be successfully validated by means of the Acronis True Image embedded Validate Backup Archive tool both when the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home;

- Calculate it's MD5 checksum using eXpress CheckSum Calculator;

- Reproduce the problem, i.e. wait until Acronis True Image will start to complain about this backup archive being not Acronis True Image archive;

- Calculate it checksum once more;

- Compare the two checksums calculated.

If the checksums are different then the problem is caused by the faulty hardware, e.g. faulty hard drive, hard drive cable or controller, etc. and is not related to Acronis software in any way.

If the cheksums are identical then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Let us know where you save the backups to;

- When does the backup corruption occur exactly?

- Try saving backups to any other location(s), e.g. other internal, external or network drive(s), CD, DVD. Inform us about the result;

- Perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility and let us know the result.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem(s) appear(s) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. srdiamond

srdiamond Registered Member

I have already resolved this problem, so I know the cause: Having an old copy of TrueImage in an Acronis Folder. The TrueImage that was opertative on my system was, it seems, some kind of monstrous hybrid of two different builds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.