When is real help coming along?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JohnPlayer, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnPlayer

JohnPlayer Registered Member

I've been running ESS v3 for a year with no trouble at all. I got a mail from BetterAntiVirus.com to renew, which I did for 2 years at $75.99. It was only after I installed ESS 4 that I found out it wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet:eek: I've re-installed v3 and all is well. After looking on here I see it's a very common thing to have no internet after upgrading and that the lack of support is overwhelming. When is ESET going to actually do something constructive about everyone's problems? I only wish I'd checked here before paying out my money.

2. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

A module had been updated and is in the final stages of testing.
    Users who are testing it have posted good results, it is looking good.

Keep watching the threads for more news.

3. JohnPlayer

I'll be doing that alright. I wish i'd done it earlier. Thanks for the reply The Nodder

4. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Would help if all of these people experiencing internet connection problems would give more details. What king of Internet service you are getting: Wireless, DSL, Cable, Dial-up?

Are you behind a Router?

Do you use an Ethernet or Cable NIC? USB?

Regardless of how your connected to the Internet, has anyone tried using the ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew with the command prompt?

Ever tried pulling the power plug on the modem and/or router and letting it drain for a minute or 2??

Also helps to shut down the computer system and pull the plug to allow it to drain as well.

5. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

It is obvious from all the posts on the board that it is none of the above !!!!!!!

Although some results are promising there are still reports that problems still exist using the new module.

And still we get nothing official from ESET or the mods, this is getting very tiresome with no real news or even an apology

6. DarrenDavisLeeSome

I don't know.

I went from ESS 3.0 to ESS 4.0 and never experienced any new issues or problems with my internet connection.

It's also possible that these internet connection issues some people are experiencing might be caused by the condition of the OS itself and not specifically ESS. There are too many people out there who are not very "savvy" in maintaining their systems. I am by no means an expert on that matter but I have done pretty well regardless.

I've got my own ways and means of keeping the systems that I'm responsible for in good running order and there is always something new to discover that may come in handy. One key element that helps me is making a back-up of my OS's with Ghost (in DOS). If things start to get kooky I can always erase the main drive, reformat it, then restore the clone image file (all in a matter of a few minutes) and then everything is fine. I don't use Windows Updates or Automatic Updates to update my systems. When new updates are released I download them manually, extract and save them to a SD Card. I update beginning with erasing my main drive, reformatting, restoring the Ghost image file, do all the Windows Updates manually, do some clean-up, several reboots, then use Ghost (in DOS) to re-write the Ghost image file. Pretty simple and it helps immensely.

I take very good care of the computers on my network (the ones that I have full access to) and they all have ESS 4.0 on them. I take good care of the network too with power-downs/reboots. I have to. We're using what might be considered an "out-dated" Router that handles a great deal of traffic from a minimun of 5 computers to as many as 7. I have to power-down both our Cable modem and Router at least 3 times a day to let them drain and reboot.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  7. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

What happened to works out of the box. If, as you suggest people have to run your type of regime for ver4 to run, then ESET had better shut up shop and go home because nobody would use it.

8. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Very good.

If this is what it takes to run ESET software I think ESET should copy what you wrote (with your permission and appropriate credit) and include it in the Quick Start part of their manual for ESS V 4.

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Yes - Draytek Vigor 2820vn.

Ethernet for desktop, WiFi for laptop.
    router to cable modem.

No.

Not deliberately, but then most of my problems are the PC to router, unless you are suggesting that the incoming blocks are router/cable based - but then I would expect to see the same problems on my laptop- more so as it is wireless.

My PC isn't switched on 24/7 - and the local power cut helped with the mains disconnection thought.

What I do have is a Vodafone 3G connection software loaded onto my PC, but the 3G connection is not open, but the service is loaded.

Obviously not everyone has suffered a problem (one of the disadvantages of a Windows versus Mac scenario), and of course on a forum the 'it ain't working ' brigade are more vociferous than the " I say old bean, what a spiffing piece of software, working perfectly don'tcha know! " persons - you've only got to look at the other forum on disk imaging to see that one.

Colin

10. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Nah. ESET wouldn't want to use anything that I have written.

Not too many people out there want to take the time to wipe the slate clean, start over again (from scratch even), then back it up, then keep that back-up (or other back-ups) updated. Plus all the maintenance to keep the system going: defragging, cleaning up trash, cutting power, etc...blah, blah, blah...

I've been doing it for so long it's like second nature to me. I've refined the whole bit to my liking. Backing up an OS to a HDD or CD has saved me gobs upon gobs of work and gobs upon gobs of headaches. I know a handul of people who regularly reformat and intall everything over again 2 ~ 3 times a month. I've suggested (more than once) using Ghost to back-up all that hard work, but it just falls on deaf ears. Maybe it's hard for some to believe that something so simple in concept would be very effective. Go figure.

Just giving my 2 bits worth. People can take it or leave it.

11. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

As I posted a starter post in another thread I re-installed Vista from scratch and after I had setup Vista the first thing I installed was ESS V4.
    In the previous install of vista ESS V4 gave me the firewall problem.

But, I'm not getting that problem now in the re-install. It works as it should.

I use Macrium Reflect to make partition / drive images too, have done for many years, if I get a problem all I have to do is restore an image.

12. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I have been using ESET antivirus for a long time.(years)
    One Puter running Vista Business.
    Another running XP Pro.

The Vista Puter is using ESET SS v4 with NO problems.
    The XP Pro Puter I had to revert to ESET SS V3. Wife had some trouble with the
    internet and I can't remember the nitty-gritty but V3 solved the problem.
    When I installed ESET SS V4, I uninstalled ESET SS V3 and then did a search
    on "ESET" and deleted all items before installing ESET SS V4.

So on all Puters I run ESET, Ccleaner, Defrag, Registry Mechanic, Sandboxie, Windows
    updates (manual). Also I don't use IE or OE. FireFox and Thunderbird are less prone
    to the IE/OE bugs.
    It's so important to do daily maintenance and I find most people don't even know that
    it needs to be done. These are the things that keep my Puter running smoothly for years
    IMHO.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Should you encounter problems with connectivity, check the firewall log to see if an IDS rule has blocked certain connection attempts for some reason. For instance, I've seen a network printer producing port scan attacks which rendered the printer unusable with v4 unless UDP port scan attack detection was disabled.

14. JohnPlayer

I'm running XP Pro SP3 with no network. On initial install of ESS 4 the internet worked. After updating the virus definitions it didn't. How can that be the firewall?

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I assume you use a modem or router to connect to the Internet so you have a simple network. Please try to reproduce the problem and check the firewall log for details then. If the log says that an attack was detected and the connection blocked, disable the appropriate attack detection in the firewall setup. You should be able to connect to the Internet fine then. In order for us to tell if it's a real attack, faulty network device or false positive from the firewall, we'll need to get a log from Wireshark with the network communication captured.

16. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Have you tried the ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew yet??

I don't think the installation totally configures the Firewall.

You might want to try totally uninstalling ESS 4.0. Totally disconnect your system from the internet and keep it that way till after you have ESS installed again. I highly recommend at least 1 complete shutdown/pull the plug on your system and let it sit for a minute or two afterwards.

You never said how you're connected to the internet. I can only assume one of these: Ethernet NIC to modem; Cable NIC to modem; USB to modem. Regardless, I advise you to pull the power on your modem and let it drain whilst you're reinstalling ESS.

After all that, boot up your computer, but leave the modem unplugged till after you're booted up. Go get the ESS updates. Shutdown, unplug everthing all over again. Wait a minute or 2. Boot back up the computer, leaving the modem unplugged, again, till back in Windows

Using the Command prompt (if you're using Vista you might need to open it with Administrator rights). At the prompt type: ipconfig /release. With your computer plugged into the modem first, plug in the power to the modem. Go back to the Command and type in ipconfig /renew. You should get an ESS Protection Mode popup as it detects the connection to the modem. Choose Allow or Strict. Go back to the Command Prompt and this time just type in: ipconfig and you should see your IP adress and the subnet mask.

Hope this help. Good Luck.

P.S. You can always download ESS 3.0 if you get tired of messing around with 4.0.

17. JohnPlayer

Yes Marcus I connect via ethernet cable to a Virgin media modem. I really haven't got the time to keep installing and uninstalling v4. If a permanent solution doesn't appear on here in a week or so I'll either keep using v3 or get my money back as the product isn't fit for purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.