When do I need to replace my router?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

BACKGROUND- Initiating my internet connection has become "sluggish." There4, a couple of weeks ago I activated the 2-computers icon in my system tray in order to show me the status of my connection.

SITUATION- I use Time-Warner (Oceanic) Roadrunner cable connection. My present wired USRobotics router is about 4+ years old. I notice lately that...

1) After startup, it now takes my internet connection about 2-3 minutes to get established. During that time, the 2-computers icon in the system tray flashes back & forth between each of the 2 computers. Finally it stops flashing & then the right-side computer's light stays on by itself for maybe 30 seconds. When both computer lights finally go dark, I now have a computer connection. As mentioned before, this process can take 2-3 muinutes.

2) If I don't use my connection for 30 minutes or so, I have trouble "waking it up." At those times, if I use my browser, it acts like it isn't connected at all. If I use my DrWeb updater, the updater goes numb the first time. Then I abort the updater, activate it again, & the connection happens immediately. After that, I can again use my browser.

My guess is that it's my router. Before you ask, I have no diagnostic for checking my router -- or, if I do, I have no idea where it is or how to use it. Duhhhh:blink:

*Does it sound like my router needs replacement?

*If not, what else could be causing this?

*If so, is D-Link a good brand? (Amazon has a deal on D-links!)

Any comments will be muchly appreciated.

Aloha... bellgamin

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

You may just need to update your ethernet driver. However, if that doesn't solve the problem, D-Link is a fine choice. Easy to set up and they still support their routers after they've reached their End-of-Life cycle. I still use the "old" 604 model...

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, You might try rebooting your modem and router by shutting down your computer and unplugging the power to both the router and modem and waiting a couple minutes. Then plug one in at a time, let them sync up and then restart your computer.

Have you tried troubleshooting your connections? Have you tried shutting down your machine and rebooting without the router connected and see if the problems persist? Of course please make sure your have a firewall active if your unplugging your router. If your connection works without the router, then something is going on with it.

I also have a cable modem and it's very important to make sure every cable connection is properly connected and tight. I use a wrench to snug them up. Mine takes a 7/16". Also, make sure that your connection from the wall or splitter is the correct one. If you have moved your furniture or added a splitter, there is a special splitter that the cable needs to be connected to. Also check all your Ethernet connections too. You could also have a bad Ethernet cable.

If your still having problems after eliminating the router and all your connections, then calling the cable company might be a good idea. It could be a problem on their end. You could also check with your neighbors to see if they are having problems too.

You can also reset the router. There should be a button on it and there should be instructions on how to do it in the manual. I have to hold mine in for 10 seconds. It will erase anything you customized in the settings so beware.

Good luck and sorry to make you crawl around and call a 1-800 number.

innerpeace

edit: added more details

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

D-Link is a good choice. I use the old D-604. it works perfectly.. It is very easy to set up & you can back up the settings to a file. It also claims to offer some Firewall capabilitys. I guess it does. Zone Alarm seems to just sit there takeing up space.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

My thanks to all of you.

On a hunch, I restored my image that uses SSM and now everything zips again, including the internet connection. I was trying a different HIPS. Evidently it was the culprit that slowed everything down.

Even so, I decided to replace my old router with a D-link, because of the good remarks made herein. It's a D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router EBR-2310 from Amazon. I got a very good price!:D

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Glad to here you found a fix :). I guess the EBR-2310 is the new version of the DI-604. I also have a DI-604 and it is my first router. It was very easy to install ;).

Take care,
    innerpeace

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

something isn't right. I have only ever had one firewall router The Netgear DG834
    and it works immediately when I boot even at 4 years of age. There is also a DG834G if wireless is needed.

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.