When Do I Close SpywareGuard

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by joni, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joni

joni Registered Member

Seems I read somewhere not to close SpywardGuard - I believe it was if I selected File - Exit. Seems I read somewhere that it was ok to close it but not from the File menu.

I do believe I once closed it by double clicking on the tray icon but that no longer works. I believe I read to do this in the help files.

If I have the shortcut on my desktop and double click on it, nothing happens.

If I have the shortcut on my quick launch (not because I need to launch it, but because it is more convient to keep it there) it does not close the tray icon.

If I do alt tab, it does not show SpywareGuard as being open. It does, however, show it in control - alt - delete as running in the background.

What am I supposed to do about Spyware Guard when installing new programs that tell me to close all open programs before installing? One program I ran (cleanALL.bat) closed it automatically. When I was creating Rescue Disks for NAV 2004, I left it on the tray. (I had a problem - the rescue disks were successful but computer would not boot to A (I don't think this had anything to do with the SpywareGuard on the tray).

Please clarify.

Also, I do not know what to click on re quick reply.

Thanks

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi joni,

Hmm, lots of different questions in there, so let's go through them like this.

There are times when you can and probably should close (shutdown) SpywareGuard. Some people have to exit it during Scandisk (chkdsk) and Defrag operations, otherwise it makes those take longer. If you are doing some major system repair or update, such as repairing IE or Windows from your original CDs, or installing a Windows Update Service Pack or other major update, then I would shutdown SpywareGuard. And yes, creating Rescue Disks for NAV 2004... is probably another time to close it.

But, the most important feature of SpywareGuard is the scanning of application install kits at the moment you run them, so shutting down SG for just any application install means you lose that key protection. I would leave it running for those installs. (The type of installs I'm saying it should run during are: desktop theme installs, screen savers, misc downloaded games, graphic tools or other small / entertainment programs.)

The desktop icon does not open the SpywareGuard management interface. All it does is start SpywareGuard's background processes ("sgmain" & "sgbhp") if they are not already running. Other than that purpose, the desktop and a quick launch icon have no purpose. The systray icon next to the clock, ie. the SG one, is the proper way into the interface. A double-click or right-click should open the main SpywareGuard screen.

You can indeed use the SG > (interface) > File > Exit option to exit SpywareGuard's two background processes, if you need to. Personally when I've tested with it I've always unchecked the three protection options and saved those settings prior to exiting it. Basically disabling the protections first, then File > Exit to stop the processes. You could later restart it with the desktop icons and then enable the three protections when you want it running again.

3. joni

joni Registered Member

Actually what I did when I made Rescue Disks was to disable the three protections. SpywareGuard was on the tray with an x over it. Are you saying this is not enough because it is still detected as running? I do the same thing with Norton when I am installing new software, I just disable it on the tray. Now i assume doing this it is still considered to be running. I have been told only to do this if the program I am installing ask that it be done. Can you tell me how I should actually close NAV?

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Disabling from the systray is fine, but I just wanted you to know that you can exit the processes as well if you want. There is nothing wrong with using File > Exit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.