When delete won't do it...

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by AaLF, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

There are times when I need to copy folders from one drive to another - particularly an external HDD. Later, when I need to delete or transfer that folder it sometimes registers as corrupt.

Now no matter what I do I can't get rid of those folders by deleting or shredding. Re-formatting is the only way I know... so far.

How can I easily kill a folder that is immune or insubordinate to the "DELETE" instruction?

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi tisatashar,

Have you taken into account the "attributes" of file's contained in those folder's (system, hidden, etc ...)?
    Quick overview - http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy06.htm

You might try from within a cmd shell (as I suspect you've been using copy/delete from the simple file/edit menu's) if no such file's are present.
    Traverse (cd) drive's employing the /d switch, copy using the /v switch, delete individual file's with del and it's switches, rd for folder's.

System or hidden file's involved? XP ship's with xcopy.

GF

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

The surest way to delete any folder is to boot from a Bart PE live cd and navigate around the hard drive with the A43 File Management Utility.

5. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.