When Computers Attack

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Osaban, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello

I really don't see why every cyber scenario has to have a flair of Clancy or such in it. Maybe in Hollywood.

In reality, nothing remarkable can happen as most institutions that respect themselves run on networks that are not connected to outside world.

From personal experience, I can tell that most secure computers do not even have any external drives, not even usb ports connected, only strict intranet, separate communication channels 50 m underground safely caged in copper meshes.

It sounds scary and fuels the sentiment for politics against the 'evil' guys, but in reality, guts and blood is what I'd fear more.

Mrk

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I agree, most networks nowadays are well protected and independent. Still someone could do a lot of damage from within, and if it is an orchestrated action it could have devastating consequences.

I don't think that the perpetrators of such actions must be necessarily foreigners, as the article seems to imply.

4. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Just the foreigners holding H1-B's from within :cool:

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You know I had to google H1-B to find out what it is. Fine, but somebody a few months ago asked me to google 'loose change 2nd edition', and in today's world I don't believe anymore in Patriotism: There are good people and people prepared to do anything to get their way.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  6. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

The comment wasn't made with "Patriotism" in mind; rather, I've seen it from first-hand experience too many times. That said, most want to make $ is the USA and high-tail it back to their country and open a business, and the temptation of copying a business model and gathering information can be overwhelming. I meant no specific slight or stereotype, just a view from experience of uncommonly high percentages of H1-B holders to the indigenous citizenship. But you're right, theft can and does come from anyone bent on doing harm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.