When Avast trys to update my PC freezes

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by 5ergo, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5ergo

5ergo Registered Member

Im using Ewido Plus and Avast HE and when Avast trys to update my PC freezes.I believe it has something to do with Ewido cause i was using Avast only before and there were no such issues.
    I disabled Avast, since Ewido offers more protection.
    Any clues?

2. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hi 5ergo,

Welcome to Wilders.

Sorry, don't have any clues. Except to say I also run Avast free and ewido plus resident, on my w2k sp4 machine and I haven't had any issues whatsoever with conflicts, slowdowns or freezing.

Unfortunately, by giving up on Avast, you're giving up on the protection modules (e-mail, web shield, network shield). For instance the eicar test virus is stopped before it even starts to download by Avast. While ewido would stop malware upon execution, why give up an extra level of protection by removing Avast.

Perhaps the best course of action would be a process of elimination (as with all conflicts) and more info on your system so somebody may be able to help you. For instance:

*Were you running Avast in its default configuration?
    *Did you change any of the detailed update settings (basic or connections)?
    *Does it freezes on the downloading packages potion of the update (or before, or after)?
    *Can you do a manual update without freezing?
    *If you were to kill the realtime protections of ewido, does the system still freeze?
    *Any other security software running in realtime?
    *Have you trailed other AVs programs with the same consequences?
    *Does the PC stop responding to where you have to use task manager to kill the process?

HTH

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  3. drhayden1

drhayden1 Registered Member

i use avast also........i would NOT give it up......I also use ewido along with spybot and the retail versions of spy sweeper and ad-aware se plus......one program CANNOT find it all(have not had any problem with ewido and avast)

4. 5ergo

5ergo Registered Member

I am SO sorry but this issue didn't have anything to do with Ewido or Avast! :oops:

Well it had something to do with Avast, since it's p2p shield caused crash when particular p2p app used. So i disabled Avast p2p shield (leaving other shields enabled) and it works fine now.

drhayden1 both Ewido and Avast are quite powerfull together imo, but if i get it right you are using 5 apps to protect your PC :blink:
    But who knows how powerfull would they be without my firewall on my router.

Anyway thanks to both of you! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.