Whatsapp acquired by Facebook

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Because more data equals more targeted ad revenue, that's why. I think a lot of people think Facebook is still about keeping up with friends, family, etc. But they aren't, they are far more concerned about advertising revenue. Ads are how you do business now, it is where the money is at. Why do you think that the first idea Mozilla pulled out of their hat to keep afloat was to start ad tiles? It's the easiest, less risky road to take. Just think about all the mobile ad revenue they will pull in with an instant messaging service if all goes well.

However, all may not go well, and 19 billion is a hell of a gamble. Actually, I believe they paid far, far too much for this particular company, but I get what they are thinking. They'll be fine so long as WhatsApp grows. Facebook barely budged as a company after the Instagram buyout, but Instagram itself shot up something like 23% in growth I think? Anyway, yeah, this is about advertising revenue and more data to fuel it. Mark isn't being stupid..yet. It wouldn't however be wise to start shopping randomly like Marissa Meyer or buying in bulk like Google.

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Start-up IPO's get paid ridiculous amounts of money but that's how it is for doing all the ground level work.
    Many small ventures set out in the hopes of getting scooped by Google or Facebook.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

WhatsApp to introduce voice calls

Read here.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

WhatsApp in voice a threat for telecom operators: Telenor CEO Jon Fredrik Baksaas

Read here.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Nice analysis, and I understand what you're saying, but it's still insane, no company should ever pay so much for a small company. It's also strange that Facebook's stock didn't even react to such silly business decision. :rolleyes:

Btw, a bit OT, but i'm not exactly a fan of Zuckerberg, I think he should focus on redesigning the whole website, even on my new PC, FB pages still sometimes feel a bit sluggage, and on old PC's it unbearable. Is it that hard to build a smooth running and nice looking website, when you're loaded with cash? :thumbd:

I wish FB was more like this, when it comes to speed:

-https://vk.com/anniegaus-

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
  7. siljaline

8. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I'm fairly sure that their trackers have more to do with page loading than the actual design of the website. A lot of people don't realize just how much these embedded monstrosities can affect a page. As for the price of WhatsApp, yeah, he severely overpaid. Whether the intention was sound or not, Wall Street will spank him if he doesn't make it profitable.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes but that's no excuse, same goes for Twitter, I hate it when pages freeze because they have to load text or images, that's just bad design. :rolleyes:

Did you check out that VKontakte site, so fast and responsive, that's how it's supposed to be.

Javascript (and trackers) combined with idiotic webdesigners have ruined a lot of websites. :thumbd:

10. siljaline

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. siljaline

Groups ask US FTC to investigate Facebook's purchase of WhatsApp
    http://www.cso.com.au/article/539929/groups_ask_us_ftc_investigate_facebook_purchase_whatsapp/

13. siljaline

Android exploit eats up WhatsApp chat databases
    http://www.infoworld.com/t/encryption/android-exploit-eats-whatsapp-chat-databases-238265

14. siljaline

15. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

16. siljaline

WhatsApp now has 500 million active users
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/22/5640850/whatsapp-has-500-million-active-users

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Hmm, WhatsApp is described as an app made by a bunch of cool guys and idealists, and Facebook as the big bad guy.
    WhatsApp was already known to be not so privacy friendly long before this.
    "Respect for your privacy is coded into our DNA, and we built WhatsApp around the goal of knowing as little about you as possible,"
    What nonsense, if WhatsApp would really be built around the goal of knowing as little about its users, it would be end-to-end encrypted.

18. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Never could whatsapp get to work on my iphone 5. Never will use it anyways. I care less about them.

19. siljaline

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. siljaline

Snapchat Settles Charges With F.T.C. That It Deceived Users
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/t...settlement-with-federal-trade-commission.html

23. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/0...t_settlement_in_snapshotsaving_security_spat/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.