What's your way to save interesting stuff on the internet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bonedriven, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Thank you. I know there are some bookmark services or webclip addons etc, but I still haven't found one that I can stick for a long time...

Many times, I want to find an article I read before but can't find it anymore. I would like have something in order to build my personal knowledge base.

So...what are you using?? :p

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

If it´s a short article, I read it and print it to PDF to save it for further reference.

If it´s a longer article, I save it as .txt and copy it to the Kindle, to read later (PDF doesn´t work in this case).

If it´s some short reference I save it in OneNote.

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Simple copy/paste (notepad, wordpad, leafpad, word, L.O writer)... sometimes i only save the links.

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

5. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Click the star in Firefox to add it to 'Unsorted Bookmarks'.

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i use Zim Wiki Desktop.
    http://zim-wiki.org/

pretty bloody awesome and useful utility! :thumb:
    and it's free.

it's available for both Linux and Windows.
    the Windows and Linux versions comes in 2 flavors: install and portable versions.

you can set up ToDo list with a calendar date.
    i use it for taking quick notes, ToDo stuff, temporary bookmarks, etc.
    very easy to use.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

In Internet Explorer and browsers using IE's engine, you can save a webpage as a single file.

Go to File menu -> Save as... -> Web Archive, single file.

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've pretty much given up on saving bookmarks or links to specific sites. Too often the page or site disappears. When I see something I'll want to view again, I save it locally.
    For individual webpages, I'll either save them as a text file or save a copy of the webpage itself. If what I want to save is multiple pages, I save the whole group or the entire site with HTTRack.

9. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

CutePDF Writer (non-essential content)
    LockNote (private information)
    Excel (Catalog File Name, Location)

All private data is backed up regularly on external drives.
    All public data is backed up manually to the cloud.
    Access Blocked via Comodo FW/D+ & Sandboxie

10. Thanks, sounds interesting.

11. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Well, I used to use bookmarks for this, but I've been overhauling my bookmarks lately for a project to create a local web page for them. I've eliminated bookmarks that point to an article or whatever that doesn't change, and I've just been saving them locally. I don't use any special format, just "save as" a complete page.

Now, as for organizing those local pages... I'll get to that later. :)

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I use symbaloo.com (and its extension in firefox) for all my bookmarks and rss feeds.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I've been using ScrapBook Plus for a long time now, and i can easily recommend it. You can save a webpage or have it crawl from a webpage following links up to some depth, which you can choose (1 link, 2 links, 3 ..).

You can use it similarly to the bookmarks menu, or with the sidebar, where you can actually drag and drop a page.

I also created a "Read it later" folder for pages that i actually don't plan on keeping, but just make sure i save them to.. read them later.

https://addons.mozilla.org/pt-pt/firefox/addon/scrapbook-plus/

14. bonedriven

I used to use Scrapbook too. Then I switched my main browser to Chrome. It seems Scrapbook on Chrome was a little lame, so I use another app called "Read Later Fast".

I think my only problem is that I'm too lazy to tag those bookmarks.

I just find that "Read later fast" from Diigo.com is quite good. :thumb:

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I see. The thing with SB is that i can also do that.

I don't know about Chrome, i don't use it. Maybe you should try Httrack as Noone suggests. It's not an addon.
    It's very good, better than SB i believe, but not as easy to start as SB.

I never found anything as convenient and powerful as SB. Not only easy to save, but also annotate on the page, highlight text, etc. It also just works tm, with a few quirks though - patent pending.

16. bonedriven

Hi Pedro,

I just start again to use Diigo.com's service, and I think it's really neat.

But I noticed you only focus on apps that save locally. So if that's your concern, maybe Diigo isn't your choice as it saves to your library in the "Cloud".

What's interesting is Diigo addon (in fact a tool bar) has low rating (3 stars) among FF users while is rated 4,5/5 stars on Chrome. I installed it on Chrome as it's just a button.

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Saving locally means i just backup one folder and all my notes and pages go with it. I don't depend on anyone, and if i can't get connected, they're still accessible.

I have in the past continued reading something after failing to connect to the internet, because i had it saved with SB.

Obviously privacy concerns also play here, but not so much. They're just webpages after all. It's about convenience and control, and using what the computer was made for.

I would make it a point in cases like my personal notes. I would never put anything like that in someones' server.
    I don't care if they're not out to get me. It doesn't matter. My computer has a HD.

I like the 'cloud' if it makes sense. If it doesn't, i don't give it a second thought.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Bookmark synced with my dummy Google Account, every time i format my PC i just log on to my account and VOILA! :D

19. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

For Firefox, Scrapbook is the only way to go. But since you're not using FF, saving the page is as good as anything. Just make folders with appropriate names and save the html and files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.