What's your opinion on Spyware Terminator?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rOadToIS, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

What do you think about it?

2. progress

progress Guest

It is/was a rogue program, so I'll never trust it :rolleyes:

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

That "rogue" status was a few years ago. They are no longer rogue. Instead, they have been walking the straight & narrow for quite a long time now.

IMO, Spyware Terminator is excellent in real time. It has a HIPS as well as the usual spyware sigs -- ergo, it does a good job on 0-day as well as regular stuff. Updates sigs frequently, & is stringently maintained programmatically.

4. rOadToIS

Agreed

5. guest

guest Guest

poor dedection, poor removal.
    there are many better soft. But it is free.

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Great HIPS program and scans are fast and it has a great and easy to navigate GUI. Only problem is that is has a problem with Avast updating. :(

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Once a 'rogue', always a rogue.

If they have engaged in malicious behaviour in the past, how can you be certain they won't in the future ?

It's not as if there is a lack of antimalware products !

8. rOadToIS

I guess CNET is not reliable anymore since they've uploaded "rogue" software for people to download. LOL

9. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I agree also. I like a lot their real time protection. With that readiness efficient. To me far better than WinPatrol real time.

Sadly in latest v. 2.5 there are a veritable mess when they do that mixture between RTP with HIPS. RTP isn't anymore what it was: efficacious and clear; now it's much more obstructive. It's not good for novice users like it was ever.

Spyware Terminator wasn't never a rogue! The problem wasn't with ST but with their owner.

You can say also:

If they have engaged in good behaviour in the past, how can you be certain they won't in the future ?

Remember Lavasoft'Ad-Aware and their agreement with WhenU!...

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ok but is it not the owner that runs the operation? anyways as said before, theyre are better alternatives for EVERYTHING that ST does, the HIPS they have is also a bit limited compared to other HIPS, same with there antispyware protection, much better programs out there you can use instead.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Spyware Terminator without the HIPS has nice and proper working real time shields. With their white/blacklist they also make a few decisions for the unexperienced user.

Together with Avira Free and Norton UAC tool, Spyware Terminator (without HIPS, with shields) is a decent protection set for free on Vista32 for most users.

Better security aps: YES

Better free: yes, but only ThreatFire and DriveSentry pop into my mind when requirement is hassle free security.

12. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

There is quite shady software on CNET; both borderline and "actually" rogue.

13. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

The topic is about Spyware Terminator. If we are talking about Madona'music it isn't relevant their manager'affairs. If their manager isn't that saint the guys can't dance with Madona'music?

Spyware Terminator isn't an HIPS's app. tout court - never was. If needed such thing (and better) the user can try Malware Defender (payware), Real Time Defender, SSM or a Antivirus with HIPS's feature like Rising. In a Spyware app. is crucial the prevention. Spyware Terminator'Real Time Protection does that exactly.

I didn't say the opposite. For my needs it's ok: I don't need S. Sweeper, Spyware Doctor real time (paywares). I use for demand A2-Squared also. And sometimes I install AntiMalwaresbyte and SuperAntiSpyware for demand; after that I uninstall them because: anything crucial was found. Spy. Term. (with the reinforcement ClamAV in demand) and A2-Squared made a good work. Presume this: a guy use MS Office 2000; an expert (I like experts...) say him that Office 2007 is better; the guy knows that Office 2000 is enough to him and for their needs. Is he stupid to keep Office 2000? Because there are an expert there? Perhaps. Not IMO.

14. Jaki

Jaki Guest

To me spyware terminator is quite good, it also has an ClamAV as an AV. It is not the top though, but it still something. :D

Peace.

15. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

there really aren't that many free AS programs with realtime protection to choose from. ST isn't bad and I would recommend it alongside something like Avira Free.

16. gery

gery Registered Member

ST has never had any good detection and if not any comparison or evaluation from nobody here or anywhere . As far as Clam AV is concerned it is a well known poor AV and however as someone said here that it is something.
    Question' Who is looking for something here?
    It has been a rogue and i find it hard to ever believe again:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm not sure how CNET relates to download.com, but more than once I've found malware/infected software/rogues on download.com.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I run ST last night and really would like to see ST come of age, but still seems just a bit rusty ATM. But that's only my opinion and in no way is meant to take anything away from it's real-time protection + HIPS which is HUGE feature in it's favor. The anti-spyware scan doesn't matter to me given SAS + MBAM are more mature in that area.

I would like to see them concentrate more aggressively on Real-Time and HIPS because that's a very reasonable feature and it does work.

I still get the willies anytime i read the work Crawler, but i'm trying to overlook that and give a nods up on the other 2 skillful features i already mentioned which i do really enjoy. The Real-Time Display is still very useful for me. I use it a lot to glance at what modules are activating and for me showing immediate accurate info helps a great deal to determine just what's loading when even routine activity is happening.

EASTER

19. progress

progress Guest

I absolutely agree - no more ST! :thumbd:

20. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Wrong, guys. ST was never a rogue. The parent company did have an affiliation, long time back, with a known spyware vendor. That is the reason ST ended up on Eric Howes site, and it was de-listed quite a while ago. (mid 2005 IIRC.) ST has never installed malware nor exhibited any rogue-like qualities, apart from one version that lacked a litlle clarity that installing a feature called WSG (sort of like SiteAdvisor) also installed the Crawler toolbar. This was corrected not long after the release of that version, following quite an uproar on the forum.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

100% correct

Pls research and read recents before jumping to false conclusions. This ST today is a different and reliable breed of security.

EASTER

22. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Clam is a joke i agree. ST could do themselves a favor to just ditch that altogether IMHO. No one in their right mind would depend on Clam AV for all the severe viruses that are plowing thru the internet these days, but still the resident and HIPS guard seem to eard off well enough malwares of one sort or another.

This app has some potentional, but Clam AV definitely is not doing ST or it's users any justice IMHO.

I hope they come to realize this or else ST is only going to fall into that same trap Lavasoft's apps have IMO.

EASTER

24. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Perhaps ST would benefit by entering into an agreement with a proper AV vendor such as Avira,however it'd no longer be freeware in that instance.:doubt:

25. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Exactely its freeware, it aint gonna incorporate a paid av. The av doesnt have to be strong at all, its 1 layer out of 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.