Whats your opinion on Spyware Eliminator

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AnthonyG, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, after the experts told me that the spyware program that i have relied upon for some months (i.e Spyware Doctor) isnt very good ive been looking over charts on the best spyware program to hopefully find a good replacement program. And one that keeps popping up is a program called Spyware Eliminator v3.

It was even voted the best spyware program on the market here.
    http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000004.html

So i was wondering what peoples opinions are of this spyware program, i am especially interested in finding out what the spyware experts opinions are.

The reason why i am so curious about looking for a good new spyware program, is because both Spysweeper and spybot do not run well with my system (xp home with no service packs installed).

As Spysweeper when it runs in the background becomes unstable and slows my computer, makes my WinDVD, and PowerDVD jerky as hell, and when i am burning with nero causes constent buffer drops to 4% which is causing errors to come in when cd burning, so i took it off. Spybot constantly freezes on my system and for some reason doesnt seem to remove the spyware when i click remove.
    So i am looking for a good spyware program to compliment my Adaware SE, and i thought i had found it with Spyware doctor, but then it started to give false postives so my confidence it this program has gone and i have removed it. So i would appreciate any info you can provide on Spyware Eliminator v3. So i can find out if this is a good program to run alongside my Adaware (i also use spyware blaster and Trojan hunter)

Thanks

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Anthony1uk,

I have no long term personal experience yet with Aluria's Spyware Eliminator other than some brief testing where it did stack up pretty decent with what I call the top tier....Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, and Spy Sweeper....in no particular order. While it did report false positives from time to time....ALL of them report false positives from time to time.

Also....one plus concerning Spyware Eliminator....it's definetly not considered one of the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware.

Since it is a well known fact in the cd burning field that background monitoring programs and cd burning do NOT play well together....I would suggest you consider practicing proper cd burning before dismissing 2 of the better Adware\Spyware removal programs.

As far as that vote goes....the webmaster of that site is an Aluria affiliate and probably fills his pocket with a little cash if you buy the software from his site.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  3. foodfight

foodfight Registered Member

I don't know if there is more than one "Spyware Eliminator," but for the last few days I have been bothered by relentless pop-ups that annoyingly appear on my screen, pretending to scan my system and come to the conclusion that I have no spyware removal software (I have SpyBot Search & Destroy) and at the bottom of the page there is a link "More Information on Spyware Eliminator." If you say this is not a rogue program, all I can say is there is more than one program going by that name. I haven't clicked on the link to get more information, I know that the company that is creating these annoying pop-ups is hijacking my system and I would never give them any money, and I don't even want to reward them by giving them a click on that link. The window that pops up says "Free remote security scanner FRSS v2.4 Scanning IP address... " Accompanying this at different times is a smaller pop-up box, that says "Windows file protection" that also started popping up at the same time, stating that "Windows detects this computer is infected with a spyware called... (lists 4 kinds of spyware, each time changing which 4 items it is supposedly finding) and asking "Would you like to find out how spyware removal can protect privacy and increase system performance?" and "Yes" and "No" buttons. Of course, I know if I click the Yes button, they are going to try to sell me a program to remove the annoying message they keep creating with whatever it is they installed on my computer. Sheesh. I went through every process in my computer to try and find out what is causing this thing, and haven't come up with an answer. But it's taken up all my time for the last 3 days, and it's not like I don't have other things to do. Anyway, if the "Spyware Eliminator" you mentioned is not a rogue program, then I must say there is another program going by that name and I would hesitate to recommend it, since they have been causing so much trouble. If Anthony1uk says "one that keeps popping up" I fear it is messing up his computer too. Legitimate spyware removal programs don't "Keep popping up" on your computer without cause. So if Aluria has a good product, I hope people do not by some rogue product going by the same name.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might check the rogue program list here

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Well, Spyware Eliminator is owned by aluria, and aluria is whenU's partner, so i cannot agree that Spyware Eliminator is safe now.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I used Spyware Eliminator for a few years when it was first released.

Bear in mind that I uninstalled Spyware Eliminator before I heard the recent news about Aluria and WhenU.
    Would I have bought the program if that situation happened a few years ago?Probably not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.