whats with the system drag, on kaspersky scanning

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

I'm still not sure what the big issue with "scanning" drives is....as far as I remember, that died out years ago. If realtime protection is operating, then there is absolutely 0 reason to periodically rescan the whole drive/drives. The only thing you are adding to is the runtime of your disc

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

What should be obvious is that the real-time protection may miss something. Once the signature for the malware in question has been released, an on-demand scan can detect it.

Also, real-time scanning and on-demand scanning may be done in different ways.

I use an AV, it never catches anything but I still perform an on-demand scan on occasion.

3. Baz_kasp

If something is missed in realtime, surely it will be picked up by the newer signature when/if it is executed again by realtime protection?

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

What would be the real purpose of the "full system scan" task on the AV's then?

5. Baz_kasp

I guess to appease the traditional antivirus audience who would surely all open tickets to support asking where the full scan task is.....or perhaps for those who do not utilise the real time scanning component and use it only as a passive scanner.

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Or... simply to be used when the AV is first installed? :D

Thanks, Baz.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Not necessarily.

AVs can catch malware by means of on-demand scans that will not be detected otherwise. Complicated question.

8. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Also, I for one do use real-time protection with recommended settings, however with full system scan I have maxed out settings such as heuristics and enabled rootkit scan.

9. Sunrazor

Sunrazor Registered Member

Have the KIS 2010 that I got free when I bought another product but I don't use it. The scanning just rapes my computer when scanning. Avira is hardly noticable and does just as good a job as KIS. So Kaspersky hit the shelf at home even though I have a valid licence.

10. reinwald

reinwald Registered Member

I used to run KIS 2009 on my msi u100 wind and it was fine.. but when i installed KIS 2010 right after it was released it just got so slow.. is it still the same? thinking of installing it again.. hope that the problems are fixed

11. JMBAV

JMBAV Registered Member

I just uninstalled KIS 2010 (after using KIS 2009 for a year) because it slowed my computer down too much. The slowdown went away with KIS gone. After boycotting Symantec for 15 years, I put on NIS 2010 and have been pretty happy with it. The only thing it's missing is an ad blocker, but so is ESS 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.