whats with the system drag, on kaspersky scanning

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Whats up with the system drag, when Kaspersky is performing a scan? it takes a decade to open programs while this is happening, and why in the hell has it never been addressed, seems like Kaspersky dont give a damn :isay:

2. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

It is the main reason why I tried and then uninstalled Kaspersky. The drag was brutal. I could not do anything while the scan was happening and I have a quad core system with 8 GB of RAM.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

What version are you running?

4. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Kaspersky needs to engross the computer resource indeed especially CPU and Memory.When kaspersky has a full scan,I only can look at it and wait for its end.It is a old problem.As far as I know,all versions of Kaspersky have this problem.

5. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Same question; what version? I had the same problem with previous versions but since 2010 I have no probs at all

6. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

With powerful system You have Core 2 Duo, 6 GB ram, etc ... is not normal that behavior of Kaspersky.

Maybe You have some potentially incompatible software with K. in Your system.

I recommend You to go to Kaspersky forum and send there GSI and AVZ resports to check them.

I just have an old Pentium IV 3,4 Ghz (not Core 2 Duo nor Quad) and 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 RTM Ultimate x64 and KIS 2010 9.0.0.463 and in general system works quite fine.

Regards.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  7. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

Hey buddy cool down :),
    You didn't mention about the version, I think you are speaking about root-kit scan, yes it was an issue, but with latest beta i.e. 723 it is fixed, I could see it in my system, running successfully without consuming lot of resources. So when the next stable edition is released, this will not be an issue anymore.

8. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Kaspersky 2010 doesn't have this problem,really?It is a good information.

I have used it since KAV 6.I always use KAV instead of KIS.
    2010,I haven't used it.

9. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You should try it. It is a great improvement

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

the latest one

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

each time you open a program for the first time kas will scan everything from it and the next time it will open faster..

but yeah kaspersky is gone for me also because of the huge drag.. and i have a quad @ over 4ghz and 8gb ram etc.. still slowed me down

12. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

I can't understand Kaspersky slowed Your system down with such a poweful system :blink: ...

I'm using just an old and humble Pentium 4 @ 3,4 Gghz (not Core Duo nor Quad) with W7 ultimate RTM x64 and 4GB RAM , and not much slow down at all.

Regards.

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

On general PC performance or just when it's scanning? Kaspersky was always fast on my limited rig :blink:

14. zfactor

it was mostly annoying when say i installed a new program then tried to use it.. it would take forever for it to start that program.. due to kaspersky scanning the whole thing before it could start.. and during scans it would slow down. otherwise it was okay...

15. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

IME, it was just a bit of slowness when scanning the whole system so I did always prefer to leave that task alone when it was running.

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

In comparison to those with 4 or 8GB of RAM, I only have 256MB and never had scanning issues with Kaspersky. But then I'd never scan the whole system while doing other things - that also applies to any other AV I've used.

17. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Just a sidenote: I have never understood why people insist on running full system scan(s) while using their PCs. It has always been obvious to me to run the scan alone, ie. while I watch a movie, have a dinner or something similar :)

After all, it's usually quite intensive operation to system.

18. fax

fax Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

19. fce

fce Registered Member

me too i do that.

and when KIS is done scanning it will automatically goes to sleep or shutdown my PC.

20. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

running xp pro(service pack3)on an AMD athlon xp 2500+(barton) with 1.5gb ram and no probs with scanning while using PC:-A little bit of a slowdown but nothing major,but if you run a scan whilst using a PC you've got to expect that,and settings for a full scan are max's on everything,had a similar prob on another system but that was caused by remnants of a trial for Norton that I had tried,uninstalled Kis,ran "norton removal tool" re-installed Kis and problem had gone,so sometimes what seems like the obvious culprit for problems isn't actually what is to blame

21. zfactor

while doing a full scan with nis2010 i dont even know its running at all

22. stratoc

stratoc Guest

many years ago i used kaspersky, you could yield resources when scanning in settings? i didn't think any modern day anti-virus scan would slow down a pc? when i used it it was incompatible with pretty much everything, maybe some other program is causing it to lag?

23. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Oh, well that's good for you :) I'm running 2009 KIS still and I have settings pretty much maxed out for full scan. My system is relative powerless by today's standards (should be a link in my sig for stats).

I'm personally waiting for 2010 CF2 to be officially out, then I'm upgrading. I have no particular reason of my own for this, just waiting all bugs and issues to be ironed out.

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I had never considered that I would use the computer while scanning. However, as a result of this thread I decided to try it.
    On my desktop I have FSIS 2010, and the scan did not seem to slow the system.

On my laptop I have KIS 2010, 9.0.0.463. The scan made my system essentially unusable with Firefox, and a little better with IE8.
    FWIW.

I still don't plan to use the computer while scanning.

Regards,
    Jerry

25. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i think i will try norton internet security 2010 many people say its light on the computer now, i dont know , i have avast pro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.