What's with Linux Mint v13 updates?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by act8192, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

On Pentium4 XP laptop I dual boot Linux Mint. Lovely system but I don't use it often since it can't print and excel substitutes aren't very good.
    When I do use it, I try updates.
    In December, update screen couldn't download all indexes, packages.medibuntu.org... invalid signatures.
    Similar today.
    But then there was update. 161 of them. I allowed all, since I'm clueless.
    It asked whether I want to keep or update /etc/grub.d/10-linux... . Now that one is important for booting!
    How do I know? I want to be able to dual boot, and have no idea if to overwrite. I decided to KEEP what I have. I think I allowed it to overwrite in December - fuzzy notes :(
    Then the screen said that everything got installed. But there's red x over the packages icon, and some error display.
    Why is Linux so difficult? Is it only for super-duper experts?

I have few screenshots just transferred to windows, in case anyone needs to see them to help me deal with it in the future.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi act8192,

From Medibuntu Wikipedia webpage:

-- Tom

3. act8192

Thanks.
    That got me reading a ton of threads about how to fix this. Every one has a different solution of complicated commands and at this point I have no idea which solution, if any, to use on Mint13.

Also can you answer my question about keep or replace grub message?

4. fblais

fblais Registered Member

In a terminal type "sudo gedit" (or your favorite text editor), then load /etc/apt/sources.list and delete or put an # before the line about medibuntu.
    Save, exit gedit and do "sudo apt-get update", then "sudo apt-get upgrade" then "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".

Let it overwrite the file.
    Grub will run an update anyway so don't be worry about grub's config.

5. act8192

Thank you very much, fblais.
    It worked as far as I can tell.
    It was an adventure for me because I had to exit terminal and reboot after every command which seemed to have crashed at the end. It turns out that I didn't know about case sensitive answer to "do you want to ... Y/n". So "y" didn't work and I was lost. And you may laugh as hard as you want :)

I'm actually surprised that with the mess I made when those commands ran, the computer is still intact, index error seems to have vanished and yumi/grub dual boot of XP or Mint 13 work just fine.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Why?
    That is very strange, I thought the capital letter simply meant that that letter would be the default answer if you simply pressed enter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.