Whats up at Webroot?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ibrad, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Webroot is not talked about much on the forums. Have they improved ram and cpu usage for the latest 2010 version? Is Spysweeper still good at finding spyware and adware? I know they offer a free version of Spysweeper with MSN but I have not noticed anyone recently running any Webroot software.

2. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

It is true, spysweeper and spyware doctor are not so popular here.

The reason could be that there are a couple more effective and lighter apps.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The Spy Sweeper used to be one of my favorite antispyware applications, but no more.

These days the better suites (av-comparatives) can handle spyware and adware, so you don't need a dedicated real-time antispyware application.

I'm not completely up-to-date regarding their latest products, but I remember Webroot adding an ASK toolbar, perhaps more. Bad for an antispyware/adware application.

And I wouldn't trust them with my privacy/data.

Their customer support was horrible.

For me, version 5.7 was stable, after that I had to drop it.

Also, their suite includes the Sophos' AV engine if I'm correct. Sophos may be good for businesses, not for consumers. Long story.

If you want to spend money, get a good imaging setup. :)

4. jedi_m

jedi_m Registered Member

I gave up on Spy Sweeper after 5 or 6 years years. My opinion is that's a good antispyware, but I had too many problems like system freeze at startup, shut down error, slow PC performance, blue screens, back and forth with Customer Support. Also I didn't like and I didn't want the ask Bar and Online Backup.
    My antivirus has an antispyware module and I think is more than enough, there is no need for antimalware paranoia. Have a full backup available on an external drive and take it easy.
    Jedi_m

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.