What's this about - "Searching for Windows on all hard drives"?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jackmcguire99, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackmcguire99

jackmcguire99 Registered Member

Hi

I have Vista on one partition and Win7 on another. In another partition I have XOSL bootloader. The MBR has code to boot XOSL where I can choose to boot Vista or Win7.

Each OS is totally separate from the other. There is no Windows dualboot bootmanager stuff going on in either OS.

I would like to backup and restore each OS into a separate image.

I've tried backups and restores on a single OS XP system and this message appears during the restore "Searching for Windows on all hard drives". What's going on here?

Is Paragon Backup & Recovery trying to build some kind of custom MBR to dualboot the OS's? Which would trash my system.

Why does Paragon have to "search for all Windows" OS's?

Your help will be much appreciated?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It needs that information to update the windows bcd store ( and , I believe, boot.ini - for those who have legacy windows windows o/s as well ). If Paragon didn't update the info, windows wouldn't boot if you have made any changes to the partitions.

The mbr doesn't contain the windows boot menu entries.

3. jackmcguire99

jackmcguire99 Registered Member

HI SIW2

Thanks for your post.

My MBR boots XOSL from a logical partitiion. When XOSL boots it gives me the option to boot Vista or Win7 totally separately from each other. In fact when Win7 boots the Vista partition is hidden and vice versa.

Would Paragon B&R in its seach for Windows change this?

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.