What's the reason I can't turn-on immediately my pc?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by sweater, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I was confused, why I can't turn the power on my desktop pc immediately that I have to try 5 times plugging and unplugging the power cords before I can successfully make it to power-on? :mad: o_O

You know, heavy rains was experience here now for about 5 days already. I remember it, that when it rains night and day then the next day I try to turn on my desktop pc that this happens...but if its not raining then I can turn on my pc in just one click.:doubt:

Are very cold temperatures affects the electrical power running to go immediately inside the plug of the pc? That I have to try out several times in order to make it go all the way? :oops: o_O

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi sweater,
    I experience the same problem a couple of weeks ago and finally it was a bad contact in the Power Supply. I installed a new one and it solved my problem.Maybe something to think about anyway...:)

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Are you using a power strip? It could be that it's worn out.

It is possible the humidity could be causing it. How is your power? Are the lights not as bright as normal. Are you using an AVR or UPS? I doubt that it's the cold unless you live in Baguio ;-)

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am in central visayas, there are times that its rainy for several days non-stop day and night. :'(

I am using UPS. Are there any difference using this compared to just AVR? :argh: :doubt: o_O

5. chrisretusn

It depends on the brand. Most have built in AVR capability so an AVR is not needed with the UPS.

What are you plugging and unplugging anyway? The cord to the computer? Are you unplugging at the back of the computer at the power supply or at the other end of the cord.

What is that end plugged in to, the UPS? What is the UPS plugged into?

Does the UPS beep and go on battery power often?

BTW, I live in Luzon, it be raining hard at the moment. We lost power for a few hours earlier, backup now of course.

6. Aerowinder

Aerowinder Registered Member

DFi motherboards are notorious for this. Depending on the board and your luck, it may happen once a month or three times a week, with varying degrees of severity. My machine is usually on, so I'm usually unaffected by it. Every once in a while though, it gets me.

Of course, you may not have a DFi motherboard. I don't know if other motherboard manufacturers have these issues or not. Perhaps not as widespread (google dfi cold boot issue) - no idea. But here is something for you to try:

Scenario:

The machine powers on (fans spin up) but you don't get a display and you don't get a POST.

Or:

The machine powers on for a very short time (hundred ms or so) then shuts down.

This is textbook "cold boot issue". What I do is leave it running in this state for a few minutes. Then I shut it down via the button on the front of the case, pull the power cord, press the power button again to discharge the capacitors, then leave it sitting there for a solid 10 minutes unplugged. Then it should be ready to go.

Everyone else has given solid suggestions as to the possible cause, as well. It would be a good idea to google your motherboard model with "cold boot issue" or similar variant, though, to see if there are documented issues.

7. chrisretusn

@sweater

Just wondering if there is any update on your problem?

BTW I have a DFI motherboard in one of my computers and do not have any of the problems that Aerowinder describes.

8. Aerowinder

Aerowinder Registered Member

Not all people experience it, and it certainly depends on the model and revision of your board but it is fairly well documented across the DFi community. I will say that DFi boards are rock solid once you get it working the way it should.

Anyway, my post wasn't a DFi bash, but sweater's problem, as he describes it, sounds like a cold boot issue. I simply used my personal experiences to assist me in my explanation of what cold boot issues are. The more suggestions he gets, the more likely he is to find the root cause of the problem.

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Could be something computer unrelated,like the electricity transmission supply being degraded or not quite up to full strength,during heavy rains and cold weather and the BIOS not powering up properly because of that.

10. chrisretusn

Aerowinder, you are correct. I was simply pointing out that not all DFI boards have this problem.

I suspect sweater's problem lies in the cord, specifically at the power supply connector, not an uncommon problem here in the tropics. I doubt it is the power as sweater stated he was using an UPS. The power supply could also be a suspect, of course if it is a DFI board then that too.

It has been colder than normal, the other day the temperature was recorded at all time record low for day time at 10° C in Baguio City. For us, it's freezing when it gets below 23° C :) Right now at my location it's 28° C

11. Hairy Coo

Chris,
    Was thinking more of the notorious brownouts,but hopefully they arent prevalent anymore.
    Have visited the City of Pines-great-looks like its grown 10 times since I was there!

12. chrisretusn

Hi Hairy Coo,

Power problems are improving, but many areas still have routine as in daily scheduled and unscheduled power outages. I live in an area with fairly good power. It does fluctuate quite a bit but my AVR's (electronics) and UPS's (computers) handle it without complaint most of the time anyway. We still have frequent blackouts (power loss) as opposed to brownouts (low voltage conditions); added definitions because any power outage is incorrectly called a brownout here.

When it rains we expect a blackout and are surprised when power stays on. Longest was during a heavy monsoon which lasted for several days. The power company routinely kills power during typhoons and windy days can take out power just as fast. Last blackout we had was yesterday. Last brownout was a couple of weeks ago, lasted for several hours, it was a bad one, voltage was 120 or so. My UPS shifted to battery mode and shut down my computer. My AVR's tripped off line.

At any rate, all of this is a bit off topic. Still wondering if sweater figured out the problem yet.

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Common problem in third-world countries :'( If it rains and wind starts to accelerate, we bet on how long power will last :'(

14. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Hello,

Problem: You can't turn your PC on.
    Diagnosis: You are THAT ugly?

15. Hairy Coo

Didnt realise La Belle France was a third world country:)

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.