What's the proper way to have your anti-spyware/antivirus scanners set up?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Denny Crane, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane Registered Member

This question goes for all anti-spyware/antivirus scanners. What's the proper way to have them setup for on demand scanning with one as the main that never changes? And even then, I want to be able to disable everything if need be to install a new printer, program or what have you. If someone could point the way to a tutorial or doesn't mind pasting the information here, I'd appreciate it!

Right now I'm trying to install a new printer and trial copy of Office 2010. Instructions say to disable everything (including antivirus, spyware guards, etc). I went through the services.msc list and checked everything off, BUT can't seem to disable the Prevx CsiScanner no matter what. I like Prevx but it does seem to be a little TOO watch-doggy and there are times I just want to put it on stand-by for scans. Can someone please help with this? I already tried to install the programs without disabling CSI and it won't work. Thanks

Also, if it's impossible to disable--kinda scary thought--how do you completely remove? It's not under add/remove as it has the stealth name awhoijvd.exe and you can't even end the process in task manager (operation couldn't be completed, handle invalid).

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, you tried Safe Mode ?

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Prevx can be temporarily disabled by right-clicking on its tray icon and choosing the appropriate option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.