What's the price of antiviruses (cost)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon Phoenix, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

I'm looking to buy a new av, I have used Etrust promo, avast free and now use Norman beta with one year free. I am looking for a AV that can run on a not so fast pc, preferrably one that's pretty good with malware as well since I have been getting spyware lately on my pc. If it can handle trojans then that will be excellent.

I currently run norman beta with netveda firewall, that's it oh and processguard free. I would like to run Boclean along with something like Etrust enterprise with the dual engines running together or hell even sav (from college).

I'm looking for new ideas as for security on a old 1.1 celeron, 256mb computer.

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

SAV 10 IMO whould be a little heavy on that system, Etrust Enterprise is good but not dual engine RTM at the moment. I would take a look at VBA32 ($41 for 2 years), Dr. Web (Buy one get one free), and NOD32($39), for light impact. Free would be definately AntiVir. A little heavier would be GData 2005 ($4:cool:, BD($29.95), or Kaspersky($50). Just my .02

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I was about to say Command Anti Virus, Can some one confirm what I am seeing . A price increase from about $20 to nearly $40. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

4. Cap'n Kirk

Cap'n Kirk Registered Member

It's true. I noticed it last week.

5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

The price of AV really depends upon how much effort and research that you put into it. Obviously, there are the "free" AVs (Avast! AVG, etc.), but you can find good prices like those at Software Outlet.com if you put a little effort into researching prices on-line. For example, if you just buy direct from McAfee....they'll sell you their VirusScan 9 for around $40 ($39.99)...but as you can see from the link above, you can find it for a LOT less....

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If you buy those you get NO support. They are all OEM and that's why they are cheap. I would want support. To me, support is extremely important even if I may never need it. I want it available and good if I do need it. So, I would never buy OEM.

7. JRCATES

While it's true that it would be an OEM purchase, the product is still covered by the manufacturer just as if you bought it through a local Best Buy or CompUSA retail outlet, etc., it's just that there are NO manuals or retail box that it normally comes in (only the CD). You still register the product during installation using your email address, etc., like any other form of download. But if someone can live with on-line help, and downloading the owner's manual from the internet, etc., then perhaps saving a ton of money while accepting the fact that there aren't any paper manuals or box to store it in, etc., is at least an option to consider.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

They have simply gone back to the original purchase price. Their "special offer" has now ended :(

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Are you sure you would get FULL tech support if you have an OEM version? I know that with the NAV that came on this box in Nov 2003, I was required to get tech support from Dell. There are almost always differences in the way tech support is handled if the product is OEM whether AV product or some other product like SoundBlaster or Power DVD, etc. With the NAV I had, I could use the knowledge base but not live support. Of course, in the case of NAV, live support is extremely poor so not being able to get anything other than the knowledge base, which is now excellent since Symantec redid their site, would probably be just fine. But what if KAV, for instance, or F-Prot were sold as OEM? And you couldn't get email support? Email support for F-Prot is excellent (I've had it) and I would think email or the 800 number for KAV would be excellent. I wouldn't want to forgo that sort of support because I bought OEM. Maybe some OEM allow you to get regular support...I don't know but I didn't think they did. As for a box...well, that I would throw away so it is not relevant. I do like a manual that is printed nicely for me but, of course, to save a good amount I would be willing to access it on line only. If I had to print it out...ink is so expensive (my printer can't print in greyscale any longer because it has to use the generic XP driver so that means a lot more ink used) and paper also that I don't think I would be saving that much by buying OEM.

Plus, another thought. Those OEM versions are usually only good for 3-6 months so how much would you be saving then? The OEM versions also are ILLEGAL. We had a thread about this some time ago at dslr and a Symantec employee explained about this and DRM also. The OEMs are not supposed to sell/give/ whatever their unused copies to the software outlet sites and those sites sell those copies illegally and Symantec closes them down when they learn about them. Most of those that say OEM are not even REAL OEM. They are pirated versions. I'm speaking of Symantec products here, but I'm sure this is the case with McAfee and the others to a lesser extent. Symantec is the most pirated of all.

10. JRCATES

McAfee and some of the others do (well, McAfee offers on-line chat and email, etc.)...but I'm not sure as to what each different vendor represented's policy is.

...but like you said, it probably varies from vendor to vendor.

http://img351.echo.cx/img351/3909/softwareoutlet0ki.png

As you can see here, updates are good for a year. As for the legality of it, though, I honestly don't know...they do have literature about how they buy it in bulk from various businesses (going out of business, etc.) and are able to sell it so cheaply on their website. Plus, this isn't some "secret" website that I stumbled across...I would think that the vendors could easily put a stop to it if it was.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  11. mercurie

True enough but I have never seen, Command AV resold, think you only can get from Authitium (what ever they are). :doubt:

Thanks for the info BlackCat. I was unaware that it was a special as I got my copy for about $15 special. I thought that was the special and the $20 was the regular price. My renewal is due this month I know I've got my user name and password somewhere. But I did not see the renewal price front and center. Anyone know what that is? I would renew if it is $20 or less.

By the way just for the record the lower cost in my mind gave Command the edge. At $39. I would take a pass and go with NOD32. ;)

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

The price for Kaspersky Personal is $41.50 for 1 year (30% discount on renewel) and $66.40 for 2 year license. :)

13. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Command AV renewal prices:

Attached Files:

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I bought norton av 2005 OEM from online store and it comes with full support just the same as if I purchased it from symantec. The same with McAfee full support with the OEM also. When you install it you have to register it and that qualifies you for full support.

15. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

eScan Anti-Virus (AV) for Windows
    Available as ESD (Electronic Software Distribution) version only

Price for 1 year (in US$) 1 User 25.00
    Price for 2 years (in US$) 1 user 35.00
    Price for 3 years (in US$) 1 User 43.75

Price for 1 year (in US$) 1 User 45.95
    Price for 2 years (in US$) 1 User 64.33

Price for 1 year (in US$) 1 User 58.95
    Price for 2 years (in US$) 1 User 82.53
    Price for 3 years (in US$) 1 User 103.16

16. mercurie

Thanks Technodrome, but this is very sad news indeed no discount what so ever. :( :'(

Command is due to expire in a few short weeks. I will be moving on. :(

Tiagozt,
    I will investigate some more but based on the other thread it appears to be heavy. However, those are very reasonable costs for a good av. Thanks for the info. ;)

17. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Mercurie,

If you are still interested, this retailer (http://www.kisinc.net/) sells Command AV (under f-prot’s name) for less then $14. I bought a few licenses from them...

tECHNODROME

18. Simon Phoenix

Thanks, I installed Antivir free version, ugly interface but pretty good it found a infected dll that f-prot and bitdefender missed. MICRO-128C, was the deleted dll that was found. Overall, I think it's a very strong product, I like it, it can look better but I think it's pretty good and a tad stronger than Avast which killed my laptop. The updates for me on dialup take about 15-20 minutes though.....

Pretty good product....

I'm afraid to buy a av incase I find out it's sucks latter on, lol.

19. Simon Phoenix

thanks, checking it out now.

20. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Also an option might be to look for magazines which offer sometimes software licenses. Although I don't use them I had a one year KAV and a one year Pestpatrol for less than €10. (july 2005) The reading pleasure alone was worth the price.

Gerard

21. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wonder how avast! can kill a low end PC... I just don't understand.
    I was running NAV2002 and 2003 on Celeron 333 with 64MB of SDR RAM.
    Worked just fine. Now how can something as light as avast! (comapred to NAV) kill anyones PC? o_O

23. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I don't understand either, i have used Avast on a AMD Duron 800 with 256mb ram, W-Xp and it didn't kill my system, sure it was slower than without, but XP with less than 512mb ram is....... well :D

24. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

While eScan is a good AV, what concerns me is that there have been no major program updates for a very long time now. The engine is still based on KAV 4.5, and the latest program build is still 'h' (2.6.518.80).

25. Simon Phoenix

I downloaded the professional version, I have a 1.3 AMD, 256mb, 40 gig laptop.

Not the fastest but Avast didn't work good on my laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.