What's the point of the log? Do I need all the ! next to rules?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by bkm, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkm

bkm Registered Member

Hi, just curious what the point of the log is for if I never ever even look at it. The log gets mighty long I'm sure for good reason (I do alotta torrenting) but why do I need all that logging? I'm just a simple firewall user and need to just block any unauthorized in/outgoing internet activity. If I remove the "!"'s next to all the rules in the Internet Filter tab will that in any way diminish the functioning of the firewall or if that will just prevent all useless logging. Thanks...

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

The log is useful to troubleshoot issues when something is blocked and it should not.
    Usually when an application doesn't connect properly, the first thing to do is to look at the log to check what has been blocked, and then it is possible to add rules if required.

If you don't have blocked application, and everything works properly for you, you can remove some ! if they generate a lot of useless alerts for you.
    This won't diminish the functioning of firewall.

In one day you have connection issues with some application, you will have to re-enable the ! to see whay's happening.

Regards,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.