What's the name of that GOOD browser?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

It's not Firefox, and it's not IE6. But I cannot remember the name.

Honestly, I was not that impressed with Firefox. Why do we have to reinvent the wheel? I can't remember now but someone...old hand?....former mod?...was talking about a browser that was actually just a sort of shell wrapped around IE that had the dual advantages of you already know how to use it, and it does not have all manner of security holes....hmmm why can't I remember the details.

Don't know if it was free. Supposedly it is one of the most secure, if not the most secure browser. Can anyone enlighten me?

-HandsOff

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

this might be it here

bigc

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Try wagon wheels on your car.

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Any browser that requires IE to operate cannot, by definition, be very secure!

I would stick to a gecko based browser, i.e Firefox or K-Meleon etc

5. HandsOff

Thanks for the suggestion BigC but i dont think that was the one.

Okay, so I am not a professional software engineer, it just seems to me that you actually could have a safe browser that is an interface between the user, the O/S and the browser.

I would hope it would not be impossible to just sort of regulate what goes in and out of IE and also, to take the annoyances out of using settings for high security that result in endless idiotic confirmation dialogs in IE6

...the page you are viewing....might not appear.....your settings prohibit....
    ....you need JAVA to use this

why not a shell where you click on a link and if IE produces a question, it simply automatically confirms the question and you can proceed.

On the other side, it would have to have first shot at blocking installations, and downloads, and scripts....only after passing through the outer shell would IE have the opportunity to permit unsecure traffic....only, it never gets to see them in the first place.

that way it would look and feel like IE and even use all its features, only keeping it away from anything with security hazzard potential. I guess a lot like a fire wall, but with the ability to block IE's nagging in addition to regulating internet traffic.

- HandsOff

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

here is one more Avant

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. HandsOff

Avant! That's it!

It sounds like it might be geared for the user who just wants a whole lot less out of his browser. At least I hope it is so. What I do on the internet is pretty simple: Go here, go there, don't do anything I don't tell you to do!

I think I will at least give it a try.

- HandsOff

9. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Many firewalls (e.g. Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Outpost) include the ability to filter out ActiveX, Java or Javascript from webpages so it sounds like they could fit the bill here.

Do bear in mind though, that the most serious vulnerabilities in IE come down to its processing of webpages (e.g. the HTML Elements Buffer Overflow Vulnerability) so any program acting as a shell on top of IE will share the same problems.

10. HandsOff

yeah, I hear what you are saying. the thing is, a lot of my problems would go away if the browser would let me set higher settings without becoming, essentially unusable.

for instance there is a program i really like called "pure text" It lets you copy text from webpages and converts it all to simple txt files (including line feed and carriage return) this is extremly useful for a number of reasons, not the least of which is simply saving time...

Ideally (to me) you should be able to that sort of thing internally with the browser settings...not graphics, no animations, ect...but in my experience neither of those settings delivers. and other settings, just constantly nag you until you lower them. those are the sort of issues i hope avant or other browser will address. I still havent tried it because I am currently doing battle with a firewire/usb2.0 pci card and or external drive problem. its really facinatingo_O the number of potential problems is almost limitless...

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.