What's the killer app?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Iangh, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I have a simple goal: just use one app to protect my pc.

What's the killer app that you are using?

I'm behind a router and consider myself a safe surfer.

Looking to pay $100 for family licence.

Ian

2. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

KIS or F-secure

or maybe online armor AV+

all three are excellent suites with good HIPS without too many popups.

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Go with Online Armor AV+ that comes with KAV Antivirus, a great Firewall, and excellent HIPS (host intrusion prevention system). All very easy to use and after running the secure check wizard, not a lot of popups. After you get used to the program running in standard mode, you can move on to advanced mode and have more control. Very good customer support and an excellent help forum. About the family license, talk to Mike Nash over at the Tallemu forums about that.

dja2k

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I just use powershadow or returnil, simple and effective.

5. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

I would say OnlineArmorAV+ or KIS 7

regards,

MaB

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Online Armor AV+ Family Edition (3 PC) - $89.95
    Online Armor AV+ Family Plus Edition (5 PC) - $129.95

http://www.tallemu.com/pricing.html - That page is actually a bit confusing, so I will get it cleaned up.

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Now you see Iangh, that is excellent customer service! There you go Iangh regarding the family pricing straight from the man, Mr. Mike Nash :D

dja2k

8. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Just had a little play with Online Armor. Very impressed with ease of set-up.

Like the fact it has Kaspersky although I understand it doesn't have the extended bases.

Is that because it isn't needed?

I didn't see a scheduled scan option. Again, is that because it isn't necessary?

Ian

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

It could have extended bases if I wanted it to - and its on the cards, potentially, for an advanced mode config option.. but we went with the standard bases to avoid problems with false positives.

Scheduled scans also aren't needed. OA will check a file if you run it.. you can do a scan if you want to, but no need for a scheduled scan in our view.

Mike

10. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

The kids will love this bit.

No need for any extra spyware software?

Ian

11. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

No, not really. If you use OA AV+ properly all of the programs are identified and blockable - you'll be nice and safe. However, your mileage may vary depending on the type of surfing you do.

12. Long View

Long View Registered Member

If you don't already have one buy an imaging program with the $100 and use Returnil to protect C:

No need to bog your system down with anti-spyware, anti-virus, hips etc

13. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

OK. I'll slap it on their PCs tomorrow whilst they are at school.

Let's see how they react!

Thanks,
    Ian

14. THX1138

THX1138 Registered Member

Long View,

I like and understand the 'flush' style of security but how will that help to prevent or stop theft of your data between re-starts if you do not have any other style of security (HIPS, Firewall, AT, AV, etc.)? Your input is appreciated.

15. Long View

Long View Registered Member

HIPS - Have never been able to fully understand them. Like many I'm just as likely to allow something when I shouldn't
    AV- 10 years of nothing but false positives
    Anti-spyware - never fond anything worse than a cookie

Firewall - I do have a hardware Firewall which I understand stops a lot of bad things getting in

E-mail - My E-mail provider checks and removes vast amounts of spam and occasionally advises that an attachment was bad and has been removed.

I assume that I would be classified as a safe "surfer" - having seen no real virus or spyware in 11 years.

Now let's assume that between re-starts something gets in a steals my data.
    well I hope they like music files, or photos, they will know exactly which mutual funds I hold but unless I'm very unlucky passwords and valuable data
    will be safely encrypted and not easily read.

In summary - I don't like or trust any of the security I have seen and am amazed at the number of reports of malware and viruses that people with security often still seem to suffer with. To me being overloaded with security is the worst of both worlds - machines get bogged down and you are still not really secure.

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If you are behind a router or hardware firewall, a safe surfer, a pc user who does not manipulate pc with partition resizing or so, then you might want to explore DeepFreeze home. You and your family can surf net day in and day out in DF's frozen mode without fears to be infected. With one limitation in mind, that is DF is not good for any app installation requiring reboot, you can let your kids d/l and install big Mb games and play as long as they want until next reboot. Once reboot, none of any traces including malwares will leave any marks on your drive. DF will make your pc chores free of maintenance . I have helped two family friends who have few young age kids to overcome their daily headaches.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

In my opinion there is no silver bullet app that will do it all for you. You should have 2 or 3 different antispyware apps. One running real time like AVG, one for on demand scans if you think your infected but the first app (AVG) didn't find anything, and a blocker like SpywareBlaster. Then just for grins install BOClean to get trojans as they attempt to open.:ninja:

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It would be Ubuntu - 100+ apps, 100 dollars saved...
    Can't beat that.
    Mrk

19. THX1138

THX1138 Registered Member

I love Ubuntu! But currently it does not run Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere as well as some other software and games. For a work machine, browsing, communications PC it's perfect.

In regards about data, I am talking about your data being collected (keyloggers) while on a compromised website (even safe ones get compromised). Also, just because you can't understand how to use a security software doesn't mean it's bad. I have a layered approach to security and I do not have my system to slowdown.

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nah, go straight to the source: Debian. Donate those 100 dolars to the community. :)

In Windows, the killer app would depend on how do you use your computer.
    Overall, OA FW would suffice if properly used (as in not the answer to all your problems, but an excellent tool), with Avast! to save some bucks, or OA AV+.

Another program worthy of note is DefenseWall, good program, fast and solid development, with obviously a great developer (intelligent man who will answer all your questions :) ).

If you really want only one, OA would be the best bet, but DefenseWall is easily complemented with Windows fw to complete a strict defense against outside threats only. Alternatively used with either Comodo FW or LookNStop to provide a more complete and controlable firewall.

More importantly, how is DEP configured? OptOut, OptIn, AlwaysOn? AlwaysOn is the best config (OptOut is not reliable imo), but tends to break some programs. Then again, since i tried it, i uninstalled the offending programs/ extensions, and kept AlwaysOn. Security first.
    Lets take it one by one if you want, open a thread. It's always nice to do those exercises.
    Take a look here for one. There's dozens of those sites i bet. :)

21. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I wouldn't recommend Avast!- it is not really the best free AV. This is the result from russian segment of Internet based on real ITW malware caught during HJT and AVZ manual (helpers-based) malware removal.
    http://virusinfo.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=14422&d=1185195975
    Red- "detected", orange- "heuristic", right bar (it is the biggest one)-"overall", rest- in English.

Also, as you see, event the best commercial AV's are only about 50-60% - HIPS systems are really in need!

22. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

If you click on that link it brings you to a login page and I'm far from understanding anything in Russian.

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Unfortunatly, i get the login page too. I'd like to read it though, if you think it's worthy of note, i think so too heh :)

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

[Also, as you see, event the best commercial AV's are only about 50-60% - HIPS systems are really in need!]

Isn't it amazing that most users, who do not even know what HIPS is, are not infected??

I guess the bad 50% go to someone else.
    I do not believe that the best AVs/AV suites only detect 50 - 60%. If that were the case all of us would be infected if such malware were prevalent.

Use HIPS if you want to, but as to need there is no evidence as to number of users infected that I know or read about that HIPS is necessary.

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating." The proof of anti-malware is in the freedom from infection. I understand that malware is developing, but so are the anti-malware applications.

When I discover that folks without HIPS are getting infected I will change my stance, but until that time comes I continue to think it is just hype.

In general folks who frequent Wilders and similar forums like to "play" with the various applications, and new stuff. That is great, and without a doubt causes improvements in the applications. But need is another thing.

Just use a top notch AV or suite and you will have little to worry about. I also realize that if one routinely visits risky sites he may get infected, but I doubt that HIPS will prevent that.

Regards,
    Jerry

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think that surfing on questionable sites (perhaps the dark side) increases your chances of infection maybe 75%. I don't think you'll pick anything up doing research on furniture.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.