What's the difference?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by monkeybutt, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

Shadow Protect and Acronis? They both seem fairly similar in function and scope. I use Acronis now, but I like the Idea of being able to use the images in VM's, sure Acronis will do this but it does not sound like it works well?

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

'lo m-b

Saw your post just after I had seen this: for some simple info..
    "Fundamentally StorageCraft ShadowProtect Desktop 4 is a simple backup tool, but it’s functional and well put together"
    LOL :)
    Some quick comparisons with Acronis in the review
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/251553,reviewed-storagecraft-shadowprotect-desktop-4.aspx

You will get die-hards on each side and comments re "neither, use Terabyte, macrium, drivesnapshot, easus etc etc etc"

Google:
    http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google Search&q=acronis v shadowprotect

Many of the early links come back to wilders ... :D :thumb:

There have been dozens of threads re imaging tools and rationales for choices: you have hit on one of the biggest issues.

Really, it's what works for you any of the named tools have proven themselves as extremely effective: boils down to personal system and required tweaks.

Dont mean to teach you about sucking eggs...The fact that you've got Acronis and obviously use it and VMs and are looking to the extended uses means it may be time to try another tool ?

Terabyte and Shadow Protect here, never failed for me. :shifty: heh.

Scalability
    Price
    Support
    Boot options
    Recovery options
    HIR
    etc

Bit OT, but, step outside the comfort zone if you like:
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml#imaging

3. monkeybutt

Thanks allot for the reply Longboard, appreciate the information.

4. monkeybutt

I read trough those links and then some,but I did notice that PCA did pick ATI as their number one back-up program,and one other thing that made me laugh was the comment about the back-up Image from SP failing to boot in VB:p I thought that was one of the programs big things, easy use with VM,s?

Another thing is the Snapman issue, not a huge deal as I also use DD but I see they may have sorted that issue out? For the most part though DD is not as good as it used to be and caters to much to the basic consumer, and Win 7's built in disk manager is really pretty decent.

Another issue is SP can not do file level back-ups, it's all or nothing, but again not a glaring issue. Another issue with Acronis is the supposed lack of driver support when using the dissimilar hardware restore, to be honest I have not tested this but in the past I have not had driver Issues with Acronis.

Seems the only thing you can do is try them both and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.