What’s the difference between Google Chrome and SRWare Iron?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

What’s the difference between Google Chrome and SRWare Iron? I use Iron sometimes & I've always liked it despite of its teething bugs (spell-checker broke in #2, back-button problems #3 etc) but overall it is a good browser. It is light & fast. Has anyone used both (I've never used Chrome), & if so what is the real difference between them? Which do you prefer?

2. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Main differences are listed in your link.

However, if I had the choice between the two, I'd rather use Chrome. Iron is just not updated enough to be worth using in my opinion.

If I wanted to use a browser built off Chromium, I'd rather just use Chromium itself.

3. sfi

sfi Registered Member

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

chrome can be made just as secure if you really wanted to. i used iron for a while but they just dont keep up on it enough if i was you i would just use chrome myself. there is also chrome plus but again they just cant keep up with google

5. Daveski17

I thought Chromium was primarily a development browser.

6. Daveski17

I've heard of Chrome Plus & also Comodo Dragon which appear to be variants on Chromium. I suppose they have more resources on Planet Google than SRWare Iron do.

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Simply put, Chromium is more aggressive and does things behind your back that Iron doesn't. For example, Chromium installs a taskbar icon without asking. My cherished Scroogle search plugin - which prevents search data being stored by Google - magically disappeared while importing Firefox data upon installation.

8. Daveski17

You mean Google Chrome & not Chromium right?

9. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

No, Chromium!

10. Daveski17

I thought Chromium was a developer browser & not quite ready for human consumption. Or you have to wear a tin-foil hat or something... o_O

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Chromium is the source repository that everything is based off. You can compile it into a browser. But as far as I know, all the "privacy issues" are added into the Chrome browser specifically when compiled.

12. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

so which is more secure,chrome,chromiun,iron,chromeplus?

13. mvario

mvario Registered Member

Besides the privacy things listed, I like the built in ad blocker. It's rudimentary, but it blocks ads, not just hides them.

And while Iron is behind Chrome (since it's based on Chrome) they do try to compensate somewhat by using a more recent version of Webkit in comparable builds.

Mainly though I really hated all the update processes Google likes to run. I had a a couple of google programs, Chrome and Earth, and between the two I had 2 updater programs that would autostart, 2 tasks added to Windows scheduler, an updater service added to services and an updater plugin added to Firefox. A damn cornucopia of updaters for just two programs that was a damn mess to remove (most of them were still around after uninstalling). I do not want to go through that again.

14. Daveski17

So, I take it that you have to know what you're doing when you compile Chromium then?

...which sort of leaves me out LOL! :doubt:

15. Daveski17

I'm really glad I never downloaded Google Chrome now.

16. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I'm not as familiar with Iron as I am Comodo Dragon. It's mainly about privacy and authenticity:

From Comodo-

"Comodo Dragon Security:

*Has privacy enhancements that surpass those in Chromium's technology
    *Has Domain Validation technology that identifies and segregates superior SSL certificates from inferior ones
    *Stops cookies and other Web spies
    *Prevents all Browser download tracking to ensure your privacy."

17. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Technically, yes it's basically a developmental phase browser. But I've had few stability issues and that's from updating almost daily.

and no, you don't have to know anything other than knowing how to extract a zip file. I don't even use the mini installer. I extract the zipped Chromium build and run it. Simple. No need to compile.

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp/

18. Daveski17

It looks like an interesting Dragon.

19. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the info.

20. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I like it. ;)

21. elapsed

I'd trust Google more than I would Comodo.

22. Daveski17

That's interesting. Ya don't mind me asking why do you? All I know about Comodo is that they make a firewall. If it's the same Comodo as this.

23. elapsed

Just search Comodo around the forum and look for locked threads, lots of reasons why. I won't replicate that drama here I hope you don't mind :D

24. Daveski17

OK. I think I understand. I'm still a bit apprehensive of mentioning a certain anti-malware scanner application program & its predilection for flagging my own drivers as false-positives on this forum...but that's another drama story! ;)

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If you value your privacy more or are a bit paranoid *raises his hand*, use Iron. Chrome drove me nuts with problems after 3 days, so I kicked that sucker out. Be aware that Chrome leaves a LOT behind after an un-install. Secunia PSI still thought I had it installed..and this was AFTER removing it with Revo Uninstaller and using both it AND CCleaner to get rid of, what I thought, was all the leftovers. I have no idea if this will happen with Iron, but it is likely to.

By the way, I just bet I can guess which malware scanner you're referring to, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.