What's the difference between 32bit and 64bit Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Konata Izumi, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I'm supposed to download 64-bit because my system supports it... I'm using Linux Mint 10 Julia 32-bit because I downloaded the wrong iso :D

so... what's the difference between them? o_O

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Does the 32-bit OS support all of your RAM? If so, I suggest you stick to it for compatibility reasons.

3. katio

katio Guest

The installer is larger, all packages are larger, it takes longer to download, to install and to update everything. In addition you also need to download and install 32bit libs so you can run 32bit binaries on your shiny 64bit system.

OK, joking aside you won't notice any performance difference in day to day usage. If you got the hardware use it. Compatibility really is no problem these days (if you run obscure binary only applications you wouldn't ask in the first place). The once problematic applications like Skype, Wine and Flash all work.

Some advantages:
    -supports more that 4GB RAM without special kernel (which has slower performance)
    -faster for certain operations
    -security: nx in hardware, better ASLR because larger address space
    (however if you use grsec - imo THE Linux security solution - they recommend sticking with x86 because all the security features are available there, the instruction set is better understood and some design choices of amd64 were plain stupid and detrimental to security)

4. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Thank you. I go with 32bit then since I only have 1gb RAM :D

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

32 bit is pretty stable easy to find packages and tweaks

no reason to go for 64 unless you have 4 gb or + ram

because most 32bit support only upto 3.5 gb ram only

advantage of 32 bit over 64

it takes less ram and response fast as compare of 64 if you have less ram like 1gb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.