What's the diference between: put by hand a proxy in my browser and to use TOR or JAP

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by zorro zorrito, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

I want to know based on your experience:
    1.-Diference in using:
    a.-Proxy set by hand in your browser and
    b.-Use TOR, JAP.
    2.-Which system is more secure and why:
    a.-A proxy set by hand in the browser or
    b.-To use TOR,JAP.

The last question is: is it posible to put a proxy cascade by hand in the browser?

Thanks for the answers.

2. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Re: What's the diference between: put by hand a proxy in my browser and to use TOR or

Hi zorro zorrito :)

Proxy's cascades? Keep things simple please!

And don't be confused here:

1)
    there is some software proxies: they are used as web filter like proxomitron, proximodo, privoxy, etc.

- This is a good solution to filter the content of web sites and nothing else.

2)
    there is some software allowing you to choose a server as proxy like multi-proxy...

- this hide your IP addresse to the site you're visiting nothing else:
    your IP is not idden for the proxy server and all communications are in clear...

How can you trust these proxy servers? o_O

3)
    there is anonymity programs allowing you to connect to internet in an encrypted communication network like Tor, IP2, etc.

- These system not only hide your IP to the sites your visiting but also encrypt the communication between your PC and the final exit node...

This is the best protection possible of your anonymity .

For Tor, read this:
    http://tor.eff.org/overview.html.en

:)

3. llista

llista Guest

I believe Tor and JAP to be safer than a hand inserted proxy, the reason is that Tor for example warns you about other privacy factors like Java, javascript,etc.

The programmers of Tor and JAP, providing they know what they do, will have considered other risks and not just hidding your ip, which you could do easily by inserting a proxy by hand on your browser.

You could still be safe with the latest approach, but you really need to know what you are doing and what other risks exist. With software, if it is good, it should be install and forget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.