What's the best setting for virtual memory?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Not arguing for aurgument's sake (if I was doing that it would be about a pointless subject like which is the best firewall :D), pointing out a few facts to correct your incorrect assumption of the 2gb sweet spot, reguardless of how simple you are trying to make it, it is incorrect.

As I pointed out, XP does a good job of managing the page file in its default settings, that info was additional info to show you why the 2gb sweet spot idea of yours is flawed.

The quote(s) below are from MS.
    "Additionally, it is optimal to create the second paging file so that it exists on its own partition, with no data or operating-system-specific files." Interesting that I've been doing this for years ever before I read this (except for the "second" part).

You've taken that out of context - your the one who has interpretated the quote incorrectly - if you read the entire quote its about how XP will use 2 pagefiles !
    It does not mention where to place a single pagefile.
    Also this bit was put for information sake and not about you had said early, hence why I said:

The bit of text I put underneath is where to place this 2nd pagefile (if possible).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  2. NGRhodes

I assume you mean the outside, as tracks are counted from the outside in. ;)

3. charincol

charincol Registered Member

I did mean furthest from the spindle, since it spins the fastest (in track speed, not RPMs).

4. charincol

Of course I knew it was talking about 2 pagefiles. (You're exchanging posts with someone who will read credit card disclosure statements, insurance policies, employment practices and agreements, congressional bills, corporate contracts, and judicial rulings in their entirety. I've sent a team of lawyers packin' from one of the largest bank in the U.S. without going to court or having a single lawyer on my side because I don't miss a damn thing when I read print. Retaining and first drafts are a different story.)

But, interpreted correctly, it says, ""By design, Windows uses the paging file on the less frequently accessed partition [in preference of] the paging file on the more heavily accessed boot partition."

So if Windows, by design, is usually using the pagefile on the less accessed partition, and NOT usually using the pagefile on the the more accessed BOOT partition, logic tells me there is no need for one on the boot partition for most non-server purposes it there's one on a less used drive. It makes no sense because MS makes no sense. MS's default recommendations never had a thought of performance for individual users. Just general settings that SUCK for EVERYBODY. (I did say XP does a pretty good of managing memory, didn't I?)

5. NGRhodes

Hehe :eek: !!

Yes that is correct in general. But at certain points in time the boot partition could be the least accessed therefore XP will use the pagefile on the boot partition and if the use of a 2nd pagefile would be significant enough to be worthwhile the loss of drivespace.

Even though I have 4 phyiscal hdds on my server I only bother with 1 pagefile as I have plenty of ram for my uses.

6. charincol

nickr, there is so much info and differing opinions about virtual memory in XP.

I just didn't wan't to confuse anybody with worthless in-depth (ZZZZZ) discussions about such things as: XP can actually address up to a whopping total of 64GB of virtual memory; the boot.ini /3GB switch that changes the 2GB limit for OS and programs; striping the pagefile; pagefile big enough for kernel, small, or full memory dump; dedicated drive or partition; Photoshop uses it's own virtual memory setup; putting the pagefile on a RAMdrive; 4KB paging size; and on and on and on.

I was explaining things in a simple manner so others would actually have a concept and starting place based on a small correlation I called a "sweetspot". I have seen many places where someone put a lot of effort into writing about the pagefile size and placement and the why's, and others are still extremely confused and ask, (imagine Brian Regan's voice here) "What should I do?"

The technical semantics of the accuracy of my statements are not important, the practical application is. If someone wants to experiment with a pagefile on each of their 2 drives, by all means, do it, and don't get so caught up in my advice. The OP's computer sounded fairly bogged down already with the pagefile, so moving it to a second drive will most likely have the biggest "performance increase" to "effort" ratio. Tweaking it from there can come later.

That's all I was trying to do without creating brain meltdown (or a nap).

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

It's facts that count, not uninformed opinions.

See MSFT KB article 889654, it applies to more than just the systems listed in its title.

And use the program at http://www.standards.com/index.html?PageFileUsageMonitor

And, if you have more than one drive, most of the time, it will be best to place the pagefile on other than the drive on which the OS lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.