Whats the best Firewall to use with Kaspersky Personal 5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AnthonyG, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I am having some major problems using my current firewall (Zone Alarm Pro 5.5) with Kaspersky Personal 5 (latest version) my system keeps crashing when i sign onto the internet. I am also having some other problems with Zone Alarm not related to this. So i was wondering would be the best firewall to use with Kaspersky.

As long as it is not to difficult to install and set up, and as long as it has excellent outbound stopping and noticing ability, has fantastic leak test scores and doesnt leave any open ports i will be happy.

The easier to use the better as i am not to qualified in configuring firewalls.

I did not want to ask this on the kaspersky forum as i am assuming they will all say use Kaspersky Anti Hacker. But I am not sure about v1.7 but i know v1.5 was apparently an abysmal firewall.

I have in the past tried looknstop and did not like it and messed up my system. Outpost is kind if dicky on my machine. EZ is the same as Zone Alarm
    And mcafee was having some problems on my machine also.

Thanks
    Anthony

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Hi Anthony, you are sure your machine is OK? Seems you have a lot of problems with software that should generally be stable.

I wanted to recommend Outpost, but it seems it is not for your current set up.

3. Finni

Finni Guest

Anthony1uk:
    Have you try this:
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=897

4. Mem1

Mem1 Guest

You need to turn off the IDS in KAV. I have ZAP 5.5.094 and KAV 5.0.372 working well with one another.

5. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

anthony1uk means kaspersky 6.0 beta

i am having the same problems i am also using zonealarm 5.5

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

You are sure about that, Chaos?

7. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i installed the new version of kaspersky 5.0.372 and when i was connecting to the internet it crashed.

the way i fixed this was i disabled realtime protection from network attacks.

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

This has been standard since 5.0.227. when using a third party firewall, protection against network attacks needs to be disabled. :D

9. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Use a router with SPI. That is the best compliment to KAV 5. Dont bother with the KAV network protection, it just slows things down.

10. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Try Kerio 4.2 beta

11. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I found that I needed to grant KAV server's rights in ZA Pro (programs) to keep VSMON from crashing. By doing that and disabling netwoek protection in KAV everything is working fine.

12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Just wondering whther some of the problems you are experiencing may be due to the numerous real time scanning going on with trojanhunter , counter spy (this causes me problems using the realtime scanner) and kasperskys realtime scanner?.Personally id shut TH and counterspy down and just use kav for the realtime scanning,and see if any of the problems disappear,It certainly does on my machine
    ellison

13. musicman

musicman Registered Member

Hi Anthony:
    Just a pers suggestion I would suggest Kerio 2.15v along with BZ rulesets.
    Very low on resource consumption and passes all Stealth tests. Again this is what I am using, each person has to decide whats best for him/her use :)

14. RebelSSS

RebelSSS Guest

I'm using KAV 5.0.372 & ZA (free) 5.5 and both working fine with no problems at all..

Make sure you are running a stable version of these softwaeres not betas.

15. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

I try Kerio 4.2 beta for 1 month and no problem at all up to now.

16. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

The advice to disallow KAV's IDS when running a stand-alone firewall is prudent. However, to answer your query, Outpost Pro from version 2.5 up has worked perfectly for me with KAV Personal and Personal Pro 5.0.xxx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.